post Dec 20 2010, 07:17 PM
Post #1

Brigadier
Group Icon

Group: Members

Submissions: None

Member No.: 79,493

Gamertag: Prawny331

Note: I am no pro, I still don't know a lot about the scenario editor. If anything is wrong in this guide please tell me.
I know that many of you have not ever even looked at the scenario editor. Either by it being too hard or not being bothered. Playing/making scenarios can be a good break from constantly playing rated games and worrying about ranks. Hopefully, this guide will encourage people to use the scenario editor more :D
Part 1:Basic Basic Introduction to Scenarios

I'm starting from square one. Yep. So, here we go.
A scenario is like a play... Kindof.
Think about it, a play has four things. Actors, backgrounds, a script and music. A scenario is the same. It has objects (units, buildings etc) which are like actors, a background (the map), a script (triggers) and music. The actors have to follow the script and the objects follow the triggers.
It's a bad metaphor I know, but it explains the basic way scenarios work. Adding objects, music and a background are easy, it' the triggers that are the hard part. It also depends on what you idea is. Settler massacre is just a basic empty map with a few town centres and a win/lose trigger. Really easy, really simple and a great fun game!
What do you need to be able to make scenarios?
Easy.
-An idea (I have problems coming up with ideas so other people give me ideas and I make them).
-A basic knowledge of the game. It helps to know basic unit abilities, especially when making RPGs.
-Time and patience.
You don't need much, and I'll teach you how to do triggers.

Part 2: Basics of the Scenario editor

The Scenario Editor can be found under Help and Tools> Scenario Editor
In case any of you hadn't noticed, this is the scenario editor. The map starts off small and has plain green grass. Scenarios ARE NOT HARD TO MAKE. You do not require any prior knowledge of coding. The scenario editor has more uses than creating random units and having them fight each other.
Attached Image
You will see shortcuts up the top, but I prefer to use the drop down menus.
Be aware, the scenario editor does have its faults, and plenty of them at that. Many triggers do not work at all, and many don't work in some places, for example Modify Protounit.
It also has a few little things it likes to do just to piss you off. After every playtest of the scenario, it swaps to the current player's LOS, which can be really annoying (fixed through Reyk's editor though). Also, if you enter a bad value or a + sign in a trigger, or have no effect in a trigger, when you save all the triggers in your scenario are gone, and only retrievable if you save as. Also, sometimes when you load a sound file into the Musicfilename trigger, it won't loadd, and then reverts to your previous save, which can be a real pain. So, save often and don't screw up your triggers and you should be fine :D

Part 3: Adding Objects, Music, a Background and Triggers
First off, lets start off with a background. This is fairly self-explanitory, you get a paintbrush, choose a type of ground and start painting it. You can use paint mixes, add cliffs, add forests, rivers and any objects. When it comes to eyecandy I am not the best at that, however.
Second is adding objects. You can use the shortcut or drop-down menu. You can filter the objects menu to find what you want, and if you want to jump to a part you just press the first letter of its name and will jump to its area. Easy.
Now, for triggers. triggers aren't all that hard. Essentially, triggers work like this. If (Condition) happens, do (Effect). Yep, that's it. You just have to find the right effect and condition that will fit what you want to happen. Seeing as many do not even understand that, I'll put it this way. A Condition is what needs to happen in the
game, and an effect is what effect it has on the game. Essentially everything in trigers is self-explanitory. Unit Create, how suprisingly, creates a unit. Unit Create Multi creates multiple units. You get the rest, right?
The music does not automatically start in the game unless you siege a building or win/lose. The good news is that the music is actually the easiest thing to do out of the 4 main things. The bad news is you need to use triggers to get the music started. The trigger sequence should be this (more or less).
Trigger one
-Active
>Condition
-Always
>Effect
-Musicfilename (use the menu to find the music you want).
OR
-Playnextmusictrack
It's as easy as that.
Attached Image
^General Overview of trigger required^
Attached Image
^Option 1^
Attached File  Snap_2010.12.21_11.35.44_003.bmp ( 157.53k ) Number of downloads: 98

^Option 2^
Other stuff you should know
I find the best way to understand the way triggers work is to find a scenario that you know, and look at its triggers. See what they do, and how things work. Change numbers around and see how things change around. That's how I learnt.
Any further questions?
You can post in this thread, or in this one: http://rts-sanctuary.com/index.php?portal=...howtopic=184581
Or, add me or Musketeer925 on xfire (my username is Prawny99), and give us a shout if you need help or have any questions.
(I will probably expand on this guide later)
FAQ

Q Help! My scenario's triggers won't work! How can I fix it and how did this happen?
A Chances are: You entered an incorrect value (things like non-numbers into a number value besides -)
You have a trigger with no condition or effect (or both)
You have entered a custom trigger and done something wrong with it (i.e. not entering a unique string under wait)
You have added Typeloader and it is not set to High Priority and Run Immediately
What to do: If you have found the conition or effect which is breaking the game and forcing the game to not work, delete that condition or effect that has broken your scenario and add it again without doing the thing that broke it in the first place.

Q How do I change HC level/cards/name?
A Go Scenario>Home City Editor. It also has this strange little glitch where it adds a British homecity every time you open the HC editor. On eso, the Home Cities are arranged in Alphabetical order.

Q I want to change (unit name)'s attack by using Modify protounit, but it isn't working. Can you fix that.
A No, sorry (modify protounit only works for HP, LOS, speed and build limit if I remember correctly). But you can get around it. Try using Set Tech Status, and use techs to change the attack/siege/whatever. Note that HC cards have HC in front of the tech name, and that the Legendary upgrade for natives is listed under ImpLegendary, and Asian upgrades are listed under yp.

Q What does xp and yp stand for?
A xp stands for TWC units/techs and yp for TAD units/techs.

Q I can't find (unit name) in the proto list. Where is it?
A Try looking under xp and yp. If its not there, try looking under SPC, Merc and NatMerc. Some units can be a nice person to find. Guhrkas are found under NatMerc, and Coyote Runners are under CoyoteMan. The unit names don't always equal the proto names, just saying.

Video Tutorials

This post has been edited by Prawny: Feb 1 2011, 12:16 AM

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VooDoo_BoSs
post Dec 21 2010, 05:44 AM
Post #2

General
Group Icon

Member No.: 45,786

Very useful guide bro! Thanks! I might get into scenarios now :P

+Quote Post
Vorg
post Dec 21 2010, 06:38 AM
Post #3

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

Member No.: 51,493

I wont but hey,

how do i go about editing random map scripts if it is at all possible, or making a vanilla random map compatible with tad

This post has been edited by Vorg: Dec 21 2010, 06:39 AM

+Quote Post
[_V_V_]91
post Dec 21 2010, 10:34 AM
Post #4

Major
Group Icon

Member No.: 58,132

QUOTE(Vorg @ Dec 21 2010, 12:38 PM)
I wont but hey,

how do i go about editing random map scripts if it is at all possible, or making a vanilla random map compatible with tad

You can edit normal random maps and I had a link to a very detailed description of how to do. It wasn't very hard, but you need to understand the codes a bit even if there are explanations on almost all of them.

The maps will be saved just as the observer maps (custom maps) but at least you can have them random which is worth a lot imo..

I will try to find the link!

EDIT: I found it! http://hyenastudios.mugamo.com/aoe3rmstutorial.htm

In the end you will find explanations of almost everything. You don't have to read everything to do it, just follow the basicc start and do the same thing with any map you want. Didn't take me long to make it. I did things like removing or moving the ponds on new england or moving the sea on water maps, adding or removing hunts, changing the distance from the TC things will be, adding starting trees or other trees near TC etcetc. Very fun for balancing maps just like you want them.

This post has been edited by [_V_V_]91: Dec 21 2010, 10:41 AM

+Quote Post
bpdscolony
post Dec 21 2010, 10:57 AM
Post #5

Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 103,970

Lol you said there is three basic parts but listed four :crazyeye:

Anyway nice write up and its actually something you ve written up thats semi-intelligent so gratz! :thumbsup:

+Quote Post
BoBThEImaM
post Dec 21 2010, 04:55 PM
Post #6

Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 80,837

good for a brief guide, but doenst really explain enough. try and include more pictures and explanations

+Quote Post
Vorg
post Dec 21 2010, 04:59 PM
Post #7

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

Member No.: 51,493

Thank you 91!

+Quote Post
Prawny
post Dec 21 2010, 05:54 PM
Post #8

Brigadier
Group Icon

QUOTE(bpdscolony @ Dec 22 2010, 02:57 AM)
Lol you said there is three basic parts but listed four :crazyeye:

Anyway nice write up and its actually something you ve written up thats semi-intelligent so gratz!  :thumbsup:

O poopie my fail counting.
And notice Mario that it says I will expand on it later, I'm busy making a scenario involving you (suprisingly) and \it's taking up most of my time :D

And vorg, the guide probably says this, but I'll outline it anyway.
If you make a map on the scenario editor it will ALWAYS stay the same unless you do some hardcore trigger making :D
But a map made on the scenario editor is called a Non-Lame map by Murdilator, and he has a guide for it:
http://rts-sanctuary.com/index.php?portal=...howtopic=185551

This post has been edited by Prawny: Dec 21 2010, 06:43 PM

+Quote Post
Prawny
post Jan 21 2011, 04:40 AM
Post #9

Brigadier
Group Icon

updates!

+Quote Post
Prawny
post Feb 1 2011, 12:17 AM
Post #10

Brigadier
Group Icon

Added video tutorial (yes that is me speaking)

+Quote Post
Mafkees331
post Feb 1 2011, 06:15 AM
Post #11

Brigadier
Group Icon

Member No.: 57,462

u got sexy voice men :wub:

+Quote Post
Prawny
post Feb 2 2011, 02:13 AM
Post #12

Brigadier
Group Icon

QUOTE(Mafkees331 @ Feb 1 2011, 10:15 PM)
u got sexy voice men  :wub:

lolz, but I wouldn't be supirsed if you paid no attention to what I was saying

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic Options
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:56 PM
About Us  ·   Advertising  ·   Contact Us  ·   Terms of Use  ·   Privacy Policy