post Aug 15 2011, 01:23 PM
Post #16

Colonel
Group Icon

Group: Members

Submissions: None

Member No.: 105,643

Gamertag: MasterGberry

Meh, that seems to be a bug of some sort, and I never did figure it out...when our graphics website designer comes back from vacation on Voobly I will have him take a look at it.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Fman5555
post Aug 15 2011, 01:39 PM
Post #17

Cadet
Group Icon

Member No.: 57,644

You should let players have the choice what to implement in their homepage. Website should fall under two categories:
Standard mode-keep the same features
Player mode-let the player customize the website (news, avatar, background image, players to follows, etc).

Give the members a choice to design the page based on their view. If I want to follow certain expert and get his latest replays (it adds value to the site).
Organize the games based on each category. For example, age-aom-egyptian.

+Quote Post
Incog
post Aug 15 2011, 02:00 PM
Post #18

Cuteypie
Group Icon

Submissions: 1

Member No.: 63,573

The font you use to write the post and the font that the post has once you've posted isn't the same. That's the first thing that irked me when the big overhaul was done. And I prefer the font with which posts are written.

This skin is nice, but I really liked the old one for Aoe3. I don't know if it's lost forever but it was a really nice skin.

The "like" post thing is a pretty neat idea.

About the only thing I really dislike is Yoncore, but that's Ok. Maybe make the ignore feature could be a little less visible. On my clan forums if you ignore someone it's actually quite possible to not even realize that that person has posted because of how small the "this post ignored" thing is. It's too visible here imo.

But that's just personal stuff. The main website that I think RTSS should be compared to is Teamliquid. Both are prominent community sites for their respective games, SC and Age Series. I personally much prefer RTSS because the community is smaller and much more tight knit. And I prefer the AoE series over SC. When there's an AoE tourney it's more fun to follow everything because you're rooting/hating someone you may have talked to and even flamed before. It's a bit more personal which is something I like. On TL you can hardly recognize anyone given the small icons and especially the incredible amount of people who post there.

But TL remains an excellent site and there are several features of theirs that would be nice to have here. Especially if you're up to bringing up activity levels. The homepage on RTSS is pretty bland imo. When I go to TL to read about SC, I just have to scan the first 4 featured news posts who have that shiny image that really attracts the eye. I won't lie, TL's homepage looks great.

Maybe having the big, featured post about the game up front where it smacks everyone in the face and have a smaller section for site news. The entire right column could be made less wide as the information that it concerns is just words and not images. It's that at TL, many of the big features of the site can be directly accessed from the homepage. That's the case for RTSS but for SC2 or TAD recs I have to scroll all the way down to get to them. Maybe have access to the recording section on the side like this, only except that instead of "advertisement" you have "replay section1", "replay section2", etc. The thing is that I find that TL's homepage is the most useful one, for RTSS the most useful page is the forum index (which isn't the shiny homepage people will first see when they come to the site).

(IMG:http://i.imgur.com/dGYDK.jpg)

(IMG:http://i.imgur.com/qN5qh.jpg)

Something else I like at TL is that when you're uploading an image, there's a macro directly found in the post code buttons thing. It uploads the image for you, quickly and efficiently at imgur (which is an excellent image hoster btw). No need to open a new tab and go to a website then open a menu and all that jazz. It's not necessary but it's dead useful.

That's about it. It's unfortunately much longer than I thought it would be, at first I thought I'd just say "meh site is fine" but there you have it

+Quote Post
Action
post Aug 15 2011, 03:01 PM
Post #19

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

Member No.: 17,473

build in ASP.NET MVC with C# imo = better functionality

+Quote Post
MasterGberry
post Aug 15 2011, 03:04 PM
Post #20

Colonel
Group Icon

QUOTE(LoVe_Action @ Aug 15 2011, 01:01 PM)
build in ASP.NET MVC with C# imo = better functionality

I'm sticking to the good old web code languages :P

+Quote Post
Action
post Aug 15 2011, 03:09 PM
Post #21

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

Member No.: 17,473

PHP so.... sticky, just not a nice language. i guess your using it?

+Quote Post
KrIzZzY
post Aug 15 2011, 03:44 PM
Post #22

Colonel
Group Icon

Group: Platinum VIP Member

Member No.: 103,984

Gamertag: KrIzZzZy

i would love these forums to have some fancy eyecandy, ajax, flash.. something to make this stand out and feel fresh to navigate around. i love the beatport.com website simply small and uses flash.

+Quote Post
KrIzZzY
post Aug 15 2011, 04:11 PM
Post #23

Colonel
Group Icon

QUOTE(MasterGberry @ Aug 15 2011, 05:04 PM)
i would like to see this website REALLY take off

Captain Gberry setting the sails.

QUOTE(MasterGberry @ Aug 15 2011, 05:04 PM)
YOU BETTER WRITE SOMETHING DOWN >_<

a pic will do nicely, speaks a million words.

(IMG:http://www.reelingreviews.com/piratesofthecaribbeanpic.jpg)

+Quote Post
DoD_BLiTz_
post Aug 15 2011, 04:31 PM
Post #24

Major
Group Icon

Member No.: 61,070

QUOTE(MasterGberry @ Aug 15 2011, 05:22 PM)
QUOTE(DoO_Quasar @ Aug 15 2011, 10:16 AM)
I love almost everything about this website. Things that I feel need to stay for me to have the same feelings about this website:

2. Replays. Everything about replays is amazing. It would be hard to imagine a better system.Check out http://www.voobly.com/match/view/4874017 Would be slightly different, but it could generate more ideas

3. I guess a 'Thanks' system would be nice. The DoD forum uses these and they're kind of cool. Looking into a Like system

What do you mean by point #10?

to point 2, it would be really nice having some overview of the match like fropco has, but it could be too long for looking at the replies after and it might get anoying.

point 3, i would love having a like system.

QUOTE(Fman5555 @ Aug 15 2011, 06:39 PM)
You should let players have the choice what to implement in their homepage. Website should fall  under two categories:
Standard mode-keep the same features
Player mode-let the player customize the website (news, avatar, background image, players to follows, etc).

Give the members a choice to design the page based on their view. If I want to follow certain expert and get his latest replays (it adds value to the site).
Organize the games based on each category. For example, age-aom-egyptian.

like a kind of blog where you put your backround yourself :D

its a lot of more lines in the code though.

as for myself, i see everything fine on the site. i would reduce the smileys from 4 columns, down to 2, they take too much space on the reply option and the text gets very small :D

+Quote Post
MasterGberry
post Aug 15 2011, 05:01 PM
Post #25

Colonel
Group Icon

QUOTE(KrIzZzY @ Aug 15 2011, 01:44 PM)
i would love these forums to have some fancy eyecandy, ajax, flash.. something to make this stand out and feel fresh to navigate around.  i love the beatport.com website simply small and uses flash.

More specific?

QUOTE(KrIzZzY @ Aug 15 2011, 02:11 PM)

AWWW YEAHHHH

QUOTE(DoD_BLiTz_ @ Aug 15 2011, 02:31 PM)
to point 2, it would be really nice having some overview of the match like fropco has, but it could be too long for looking at the replies after and it might get anoying.

point 3, i would love having a like system.

What do you like about it? Specific link plz?

like a kind of blog where you put your backround yourself :D

its a lot of more lines in the code though.

as for myself, i see everything fine on the site. i would reduce the smileys from 4 columns, down to 2, they take too much space on the reply option and the text gets very small :D

Would look into more social media features if people would like it. That was the Voobly goal, but its a lot harder for 1 developer over there to code a server, code a client, and code a website, while I am just doing a website.

+Quote Post
DoD_J4Jc3
post Aug 15 2011, 05:05 PM
Post #26

The Rag Master
Group Icon

Member No.: 37,529

Gamertag: [DoD]J4Jc3

Make me admin. Or at least make some AOT member an admin. We are being discriminated against.

+Quote Post
redhrts
post Aug 15 2011, 05:27 PM
Post #27

Warrant Officer
Group Icon

Member No.: 107,669

Gberry, I finally found out one instance of this site redirecting to a different portal for an unknown reason.

When I'm on this page and click on your username under the "What you like/dislike about RTSS" heading, it takes me to the AoEIII portal. Clicking "Home" again just takes me to the AoEIII portal homepage, not the RTS Sanctuary homepage.

BTW, The same is true for the thread title link as well.

This post has been edited by redhrts: Aug 15 2011, 05:45 PM

+Quote Post
Arcadio
post Aug 15 2011, 05:40 PM
Post #28

Cadet
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,258

hi, i am here forever rts! ty guys

+Quote Post
KrIzZzY
post Aug 15 2011, 05:43 PM
Post #29

Colonel
Group Icon

implementing asynchronous javascript and xml will allow you to do cool things like the google search engine, fetching data from databases whilst remaining on a page.

flash websites like these...

http://www.ebizmba.com/articles/best-flash-sites

only downside is they are best for small sites not bigguns, not saying its impossible.

"Here are our editor's picks for the Top 10 Best Flash Websites of 2011 based on visual artistry, integrated sound, ease of use, and uniqueness."

you can do so much these are really unique sites but you could do something a bit more low profile if you are willing to learn a bit of flash for say a homepage or whatever...

i hope this gives you some new ideas.... :flowers: :rasb:

This post has been edited by KrIzZzY: Aug 15 2011, 05:47 PM

+Quote Post
Byakuya
post Aug 15 2011, 05:45 PM
Post #30

General
Group Icon

Member No.: 81,303

This :)!

Replays :)

+Quote Post

9 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicTopic Options
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Task

Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:04 PM
About Us  ·   Advertising  ·   Contact Us  ·   Terms of Use  ·   Privacy Policy