Welcome Guest ( Log In  ·  Register)

Reply to this topicStart Poll
BGO Tournament Wrapup, Thank you to all!
Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+
TOAO_ChronoJJ
post Mar 23 2020, 02:58 PM
Post #1

Lieutenant-General
Group Icon

Group: Staff

Submissions: None

Member No.: 549

The Bill Gregg Open 1x1 Tournament has concluded. A big thank you to all who participated. In total we had 60 players sign up, which far exceeded expectations, and scheduling went really well for the most part, with only just a few minor delays. The finals saw over 300 viewers live on Twitch, and the videos on Youtube have already garnered several thousand views. In total (provided my addition is correct), the tournament had 56 played matches with 197 individual games. All four cultures were present in the final 8, although granted we ended up with (for the most part) an Egyptian vs Egyptian final (but it ALMOST wasn’t! skady...).

The tournament was a long time in planning, with the initial conversations occurring in September/October with the donor. The donor (still anonymous) was a Youtube viewer of both me and BoIt, enjoyed our videos, and wanted to fund a tournament so he would have even more videos to watch (and probably some other reasons). Of course we were happy to oblige, and after discussing rules for a while and waiting for patch 4.0, the tourney finally began in early January.

During preparations, we mulled over a bunch of different rulesets, with one primary concern being repeat matches of the same gods over and over. However, the tourney prior to this (Summer tourney) featured some pretty strict god rules, forcing players to switch gods, and we didn’t want that either. Eventually we decided to use pre-set maps, along with some new maps developed by Flame and Hagrit in 2017. The hopes were that the pre-determined maps would encourage god variety without having to force players away from their best gods (and thereby resulting in sub-par performances). In the end I think the ruleset worked out pretty well - we saw quite a bit of god variety throughout the tournament, and alot of map variety as well.

As a whole, the players who should have won did win, and the final 8 players were seeds #1-7 and #9 (Hells defeating Mor as the only outlier). However the double-elimination stage featured a number or surprised. Player, the top seed, won his first match easily, but then lost two series 0-3. The final four players ended up being #3)Joe, #4)Skady, #6)Kimo, and #7)Matreiuss. The finals were a best of seven, with Joe coming in undefeated, and Kimo coming in on a hot-streak, having defeated the #1, #2, #4, and #7 seeds. The only trophy yet needed - the head of #3, Joe.

Kimo and Joe met in the very first round of the double elimination stage, with Joe easily winning 3-0. However, Kimo did not play Ra, and Kimo also seemed to play sub-optimally with the other gods. Likely he did not try very hard, maybe because he didn’t fear dropping down to the loser’s bracket. The finals, however, were completely different than the Round 1 Match.

Finals Summary:

Well played by both players! Of course it’s always easy to pick out the mistakes (they are always more obvious than good plays), but don’t be fooled, both players played well throughout the tournament. Unfortunately for Joe, he made just a few too many mistakes in the finals. Additionally, Kimo played very well under pressure. His defense was immaculate. He also showcased the value of technologies - both in the finals and throughout the double-elimination bracket. He was often on the defensive, but generally out-teched his opponents, and held on long enough to finally break out with a superior army.

Final results:

#1) Kimo - $350
#2) Joe - $250
#3) Skady - $125
#4) Matreiuss - $75
#5/6) Hellsravage and Player - $60
#7/#8) Shelty and Brickhead - $45

Congratulations to Kimo for winning the tournament in domination fashion. Also congratulations to the above players for finishing in the top 8 and getting some cash. Congratulations to Matreiuss, who, according to Youtube comments and Twitch chat, won the heart of many and became the fan favorite. The world was disappointed when he lost to Kimo. The best series of the tournament goes to Kimo vs Skady, a fantastic 5-game set with Kimo walking the tight-rope in the final game. And good job to Solacing, who won the tournament's prediction contest.

Special thanks to Blackadder, who spent a good amount of his time livestreaming matches when BoIt and I were busy. Also thanks to Razor for posting all the matches in the Tourney Forum. Thanks to all of the players who played their matches in reasonable time frames. Thanks to all of the viewers who watched live on Twitch and afterwards on Youtube! Thanks to BoIt for helping to organize the tournament. And finally, thanks to Mr. Anonymous (trueloque?) who generously donated $1,000 so that the tournament could happen.

We hope everyone enjoyed the event! As always, feedback is appreciated. We’ve had a few individuals contact us in regards to supporting future events, so feedback would certainly help us in determining what kind of event would be most appreciated both by the players and the community.

Most casts of the games are available here:
BoIt’s Youtube Channel
ChronoJJ’s Youtube Channel
Blackadder’s Youtube Channel
BlackAdder’s Twitch Channel

Tournament Discord

Recorded Game pack attached below (must be watched on Voobly, using patch 4.0).

This post has been edited by TOAO_ChronoJJ: Mar 23 2020, 03:42 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  BGO_Full_Rec.zip ( 21.98mb ) Number of downloads: 8

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BoIt
post Mar 23 2020, 06:48 PM
Post #2

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

Member No.: 72,411

I'd like to extend a big thanks to ChronoJJ for all the behind the scenes work he's done. Setting up the BGO discord, organizing the randomly generated map sets, putting up with me while co-casting and just being an absolute joy to organize things with.

I'd also like to extend a sincere thank you to the players who participated and made effort to schedule effectively so that everyone could jump on the hype train while y'all were playing. Solid effort and arguably the best scheduled AoT tournament of our history.

+Quote Post
Black Adder
post Mar 23 2020, 07:32 PM
Post #3

Major-General
Group Icon

Group: Administration

Member No.: 5,110

Thanks for hosting Chrono and BoIt, congrats to all the successful players and thanks for the efforts of all participants to get the games played - this was probably the smoothest tournament in many years.

For everyone who didn't play - sign up next time, tournaments are the best way to get involved with the community (and maybe find new players to play with) on a different level and improve your enjoyment of the game - they are not only for the big boys, certainly not, and how do you think the big boys became big? Through playing in tournaments and challenging themselves.

+Quote Post
IWILLRAIDYOU
post Mar 24 2020, 09:55 AM
Post #4

Lance Corporal
Group Icon

Group: Members

Member No.: 124,592

can either you or bolt commentate on the games BlackAdder streamed? I couldn't watch the full stream. He is a snoozer. Maybe his voice was the issue.

+Quote Post
TOAO_ChronoJJ
post Mar 24 2020, 11:54 AM
Post #5

Lieutenant-General
Group Icon

Member No.: 549

BoIt and I did rec casts of a bunch of games. Check the Youtube channels.

+Quote Post
Razor911
post Mar 24 2020, 03:11 PM
Post #6

2nd Lieutenant
Group Icon

Submissions: 2

Member No.: 124,030

QUOTE(IWILLRAIDYOU @ Mar 25 2020, 01:55 AM)
can either you or bolt commentate on the games BlackAdder streamed? I couldn't watch the full stream. He is a snoozer. Maybe his voice was the issue.

https://www.rts-sanctuary.com/RTS-Sanctuary...iew=getlastpost All the Bill Gregg videos are in page 3 and 2 for for the earlier rounds in case you dont want to search through those channels.

This post has been edited by Razor911: Mar 24 2020, 03:12 PM

+Quote Post
[DoD]Hellsravage
post Mar 25 2020, 09:04 AM
Post #7

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

Member No.: 45,923

Catching this late, but we are all appreciative of ChronoJJ, Boit, and Black Adder. They are the heroes this community needs, not the ones it deeerves (not even close lol)

Thank you. And thanks to the donor of course - not everyone would put $1000 towards a 20 year old video game.

As a participant, it was great playing in a well organized tournament with clear rules and structure. I hope there are more in the future. Felt good to prove all the doubters wrong :devil:

Since a bit of feedback never hurt anyone, I’d suggest being more strict when it comes to toxicity by participants and those in the twitch chat. I’m not sure how it could be done, but the 10% of toxic players often hijacked otherwise good conversations. It’s a bad look for the community internally and externally. So If there is a way to fix that for the future (or at least find a way to penalize participants who act in such a way) that would be good. Permanent ban hammers for people who flame/bait/etc on the most watched channels.

This post has been edited by [DoD]Hellsravage: Mar 25 2020, 09:08 AM

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
IWILLRAIDYOU
post Mar 25 2020, 09:07 AM
Post #8

Lance Corporal
Group Icon

Member No.: 124,592

Thanks Bolt and JJ. Nice commentary. Any thoughts reviewing older games? Salska Loki? Hope?

+Quote Post
[DoD]Brickhead
post Mar 25 2020, 05:01 PM
Post #9

General
Group Icon

Group: AoT Expert

Member No.: 67,990

Thanks for the tournament, very good organized!

+1 Hells

+Quote Post
BoIt
post Mar 25 2020, 06:33 PM
Post #10

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

Member No.: 72,411

Must admit I was not monitoring the chat at all when I was casting. I'll have to mod some people who can do it for me.

+Quote Post
Razor911
post Mar 25 2020, 09:13 PM
Post #11

2nd Lieutenant
Group Icon

Submissions: 2

Member No.: 124,030

QUOTE(BoIt @ Mar 26 2020, 10:33 AM)
Must admit I was not monitoring the chat at all when I was casting. I'll have to mod some people who can do it for me.

The ertrys guy turns the chat to sex in every video I watched. I dont buy for a minute hes a young kid I think he's some old guy fapping to young kids talking about sex. Because he constantly turns the chat to sex every time I see him. In your last video where you did vs kimo and magic he brung up twice he was into watching girls die while they had sex. I blocked him anyway myself but when he speaks non stop about this stuff noone else talks at all. Only when you banned the other guy for his rusty knife comment did the chat start again for a bit until this guy got the balls again to start his manipulating of the chat. When Joe banned him(well done Joe) he tried to turn everyone against Joe.

You just dont see this a stuff at all in AoE 2 and League chats but on AoM its constant when a few of these people are around. I guess ppl are scared to ban because of the backlash here of a small community.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic Options
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Time is now: 8th April 2020 - 03:25 PM
About Us  ·   Advertising  ·   Contact Us  ·   Terms of Use  ·   Privacy Policy