post Dec 10 2010, 07:01 AM
Post #1

2nd Lieutenant
Group Icon

Group: Members

Submissions: None

Member No.: 69,846

Guide to Russia: RE and FP

Civ Information: I think Russia is a pretty fun and fairly flexible civ. they have a strong military early in the game so they are good at rushing. But they also are good at turtleing because of blockhouse, they can easily re-mass units. They are very strong late game (cause of church card, opri raids, fast vill production, etc) They also have some big weaknesses: weak early eco and weak early counter to cav (although this is fixed in FP by advanced arsenal shipment) I think they are competitive on both FP and RE... and definitely a lot of fun!

Authors: hansen4332, max: major rank, 2200 elo (I'm decayed atm). I've been playing with russia both team and 1v1, on and off for last 2 years.

UNDER 2ND LIEUTENANT
This section consists of only 1 strategy, the 17 villager musketeer rush. This is a very simple strategy, but I wrote it more detailed for lower players. I chose this strategy because it stresses the importance of vill production, it creates a large early mass which is exciting for new players, and it is VERY EASY to replicate.

17 Villager Musketeer Rush:
Works on RE and FP, and vanilla (just substitute 300 wood for wood trickle card). It’s great because rushing works well at lower levels. However, after a while it’s hard to imporove by rushing every game, this strat is great bc it leaves you with a good enough eco that you can start learning how to adapt to different situations.
Recorded Games:
Coming soon!

2ND LIEUTENANT +
The strategies are less detailed here. (Age with 400 wood politician for every strat). 17 villager musketeer rush is still a good strat…. Works best verse german and france though.

Blockhouse Fish Boom:
Works best on RE. Use on maps where your TC is close to the water (boreno, saguenay, new England, etc.) On these maps it works well verse most civs! Just don’t try against iro or aztecs. On maps like California where there is a cliff alongside the shoreline, I’ll wall off both sides of the cliff to protect my docks.
Recorded Games:
1) Boreno: Russia vs Souix
2) Saguenay: Russia vs Japan

Low Eco Rush:
Works best on RE. This strat was made by Mr. Milo to counter the hardest TAD civs, japan and india.
Recorded Games:
1) Bayou: Russia vs Japan
More coming soon!

Strong Eco Pressure:
Works great on RE and FP. Again, the key to this strat is constant pressure. Never let him take a breath, never let him take shots on ur eco… then u don’t have to worry about protecting your vills! Spread out and use the map.
Recorded Games:
1) Silk Road: Russia vs Dutch

Standard Fan Patch Strategy:
This is a good strategy for standard FP play. Remember, on the Fan Patch, the most viable thing for most civs to do in most situations is to get a decent early eco, build 2 military buildings, and fight for map control. So your opponents are more predictable, and this is the best way to get Russian eco rolling. Micro and attacking in the right places wins games on FP!
Recorded Games:
Coming Soon!

General Notes:
Remember how good Russia becomes later in the game!
-- 3 TC boom. If you have 3 Town Centers, your pumping out batches of 9 vills very rapidly and you can get eco advantage.
-- Opri raids win games like you can’t believe. I know it’s hard to throw up a couple of stables and invest so many resources in oprichniks when your focusing on other things. But trust me, it pays off. Try to use sea to transport them into enemy’s base, or else build a couple of forward hidden stables.
-- Church card is OP. all units upgraded to veteran for 900 wood, kamuleks for 1000 wood, and all units upgraded to guard for 2500 coin are the best techs.
--Get fast infantry card, get card that allows musks to build forts, and spam all guard units out of 2 forward forts :P
If you are in the following situation...
-- On Texas, most of the time you are going to want to Suvorov FF:
-- Verse Iro or Aztecs, they are most likely going to rush you so you want to:
-- Verse Sioux, blockhouse fish boom if it’s a water map. If it’s a resource heavy land map, play defensive, protect hunts, work on early eco, try to drag the game out. If it’s a low-rescource land map (like Ozarks or Sonora) then low eco rush them!
-- Verse India, scout!!! If he goes aggressive agra, try to sneak 3 vills to the side of his map, build a blockhouse, and no eco rush him. Be prepared to run your vills. If he plays defensive, then either Suvorov FF or fish boom.
-- Verse Ports, do a hard strelet rush, or fish boom --> spam musk + cos

RUSSIA IN TEAM GAMES
Usually your team will ask you to make strelets.
-- If your team is rushing low eco rush (but dont stop vill production)
-- Cossack start. ship trickle, age with 17 vills, build market +upgrades, build 2 stables with age-up wood, ship 700 gold, ship 5 cossack, ship boyars.
-- Advanced trading post boom is good on some maps. Ship wood trickle, ship advanced TP, build like 4 of them. Build blockhouse with 400 wood from age.
-- Fish boom works great in team games. Get market wood upgrades, ally with natives, make canoes, transport vills to islands and make blockhouses/docks on the island, ship team card that upgrades building attack verse ships, etc.
-- use Russia correctly late-game. Opri raid!! (And other stuff I mentioned about russia’s late game under “General Notes”)

This post has been edited by hansen4332: Dec 10 2010, 05:43 PM

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
hansen4332
post Dec 10 2010, 07:46 AM
Post #2

2nd Lieutenant
Group Icon

zomg i typed it up all over again....

age sanc: +1 strat guide
hansen4332: -8 hours studying chinese

+Quote Post
ischbines
post Dec 10 2010, 07:50 AM
Post #3

Brigadier
Group Icon

Member No.: 76,147

why 17 vill agup with russia =0 i thoght they age 14 for musk cav rush?

+Quote Post
VooDoo_BoSs
post Dec 10 2010, 07:51 AM
Post #4

General
Group Icon

Member No.: 45,786

Godam awesome. All these guides are making me consider starting new civs, really awesome guide bro. Love it!
Will add it to catalog.

+Quote Post
_tank
post Dec 10 2010, 12:46 PM
Post #5

Lieutenant-General
Group Icon

Member No.: 59,731

For eco build I find 700 wood is better to send first before spice trade because you can get up multiple blockhouses or a stable + more early army production and its easier to get market ups and you got housing wood. For the most part your strategies are pretty good, a little unclear on how to get early market with russia... ive done it before on vanilla/re but do you get 200 wood start on fp or something?

+Quote Post
jsimons1289
post Dec 10 2010, 12:54 PM
Post #6

Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 59,768

Get a market in transition unless you pick up some treasures. You usually start with 100w, and you should be aging with 14 villies on fp.

Usual RE rush is a 14 villie age up too, making a batch of musks and shipping 5 coss. Doesn't matter if you can't also make a batch of villies. The best way to use this strat is to harrass and keep the opponent off the second hunt. You secure map, your musks can seige houses, scout what he's doing, while coss can chase raids should there be any. DON'T go and be a corporal and start seiging his TC with 5 or 10 musks.

+Quote Post
hansen4332
post Dec 10 2010, 04:30 PM
Post #7

2nd Lieutenant
Group Icon

yea, i know most players age with 14 vills and get 5 musk + 5 cossack, that is kinda more the strat i was describing under "low eco rush". the 17 vill musk rush is really great for lower player though. i've taught it to a few master sarge kidddos and they were both 1st lt like 30 games later. it's just pretty easy to do, and everything seems to work smoothly even if ur a terrible player :P

@ tank
yea i actually like spice trade more if my hunts are really good and my opponent is defensive. I find that getting blockhouse up during age up + building stable with 400 age up wood is enough buildings to start with.... but yea i should add 700 wood is better is some situations, i do that sometimes as well.

and yea, you should only go for market if u start with 200 wood... which is most of the time i think. i'll add that in there. idk is that what you meant challe?

This post has been edited by hansen4332: Dec 10 2010, 04:33 PM

+Quote Post
[hope]game_freak
post Dec 10 2010, 04:31 PM
Post #8

Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 68,056

saw 17 vils age up and laughed, clicked the back button and continued reading other RTS posts

nice try thou

+Quote Post
pasi94
post Dec 10 2010, 04:38 PM
Post #9

Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 60,863

you got no clue, 17 vil age up > 14 vil age up, especially if you go musks.
i think russias strongest strat is to go on early market ups with quite defensiv block house and then go musk/cossacks. if you age up with 14 vils you will have idle times in either tc or block house or both.

very unrespectful to devalue his work that way.

This post has been edited by pasi94: Dec 10 2010, 04:44 PM

+Quote Post
september
post Dec 10 2010, 04:41 PM
Post #10

Lieutenant

Group: Banned

Member No.: 75,818

y i believe 17 vills is not a good choice, although i dont play russia^^

+Quote Post
hansen4332
post Dec 10 2010, 04:49 PM
Post #11

2nd Lieutenant
Group Icon

yea what pasi is describing is "standard fanpatch strategy"

and guys, don't get caught up on the 17 vill musk rush. you're not suppose to read it unless you're "under 2nd lt" :P

+Quote Post
jsimons1289
post Dec 10 2010, 05:06 PM
Post #12

Lieutenant
Group Icon

Getting a market is more viable the better you are in age 1 for Russia.

The idea of the additional food in the FP is so you dont have any idle tc time. Aging with 14 is the most effective strat for Russia in 1v1. Sure, you can age with 17, gather more res in transition, but this is the same argument for any civ. 18/19/20 for brits, 18 for german, 15 for french etc. Russia are highly dependant on food, a forward fb secures the map, aging with 17 will mean a BH near your TC and already hand the initiative to the other player.

+Quote Post
jsimons1289
post Dec 10 2010, 05:09 PM
Post #13

Lieutenant
Group Icon

Well done on the guide though, very detailed and helpful for players who are looking for some tips :)

+Quote Post
_tank
post Dec 10 2010, 08:39 PM
Post #14

Lieutenant-General
Group Icon

Member No.: 59,731

QUOTE(jsimons1289 @ Dec 10 2010, 06:06 PM)
Getting a market is more viable the better you are in age 1 for Russia.

The idea of the additional food in the FP is so you dont have any idle tc time. Aging with 14 is the most effective strat for Russia in 1v1. Sure, you can age with 17, gather more res in transition, but this is the same argument for any civ. 18/19/20 for brits, 18 for german, 15 for french etc. Russia are highly dependant on food, a forward fb secures the map, aging with 17 will mean a BH near your TC and already hand the initiative to the other player.

You put defensive fb securing some hunts and to build your eco, russia mid/late colonial is very strong

+Quote Post
jsimons1289
post Dec 10 2010, 08:42 PM
Post #15

Lieutenant
Group Icon

Yeah, but you don't need to go and attack when aging with 14, just secure map, let him push you and use the forward BH as cover.

Different people have different ways of playing, but aging with 17 will get you up just before 5 mins. This is probably the slowest age time of any civ, any decent player should be able to scout this and keep you off your second hunt

+Quote Post

2 Pages  1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Task

Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:24 AM
About Us  ·   Advertising  ·   Contact Us  ·   Terms of Use  ·   Privacy Policy