post Aug 3 2010, 01:49 AM
Post #1

Cuteypie
Group Icon

Group: Members

Submissions: 1

Member No.: 63,573

StarCraft II Interview: Moose

(IMG:http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc77/mo0seface/ASinterview.jpg)

General

Name: Adam Montgomerie
Date of Birth: 16/03/1991
StarCraft II Username: Moose
Other gaming Usernames: usually something like Moose_, mooSe or IarfMoose

Can you give us a brief description about yourself?
Hi I’m Adam, I’m 19 years old and currently at university studying philosophy where I just finished my first year. I like playing RTS games and bass guitar in my spare time.

When did you first get into online gaming, especially the StarCraft series?
I started playing online games about 9 years ago with AoC. I started playing deathmatch because I didn’t like making eco and I was 10 years old so it was fun to flame people over the internet (there’s always good opportunities for flaming and big egos in DM). I carried on playing AoC DM for about 5-6 years until AoE3 was released; I started playing a bit of AoE3 but I didn’t like it as much so I went back to AoC until the msn gaming zone stopped supporting CD games.
I also played a bunch of non-RTS games for a while like GuildWars and CounterStrike: Source, and then came back to AoE3 after TWC came out.
I only got into StarCraft maybe a year and a half ago when after hearing people talking about how fast SC pros were. I checked out some VODs and thought it seemed cool but I never really started playing much since I thought it was too late for me to get into it and I’d wait for SC2 instead. I also started following the SC:BW Korean pro-scene (PL, OSL, MSL) about 6 months ago: my favourite players are Fantasy, HiyA, Jaedong and Calm (protoss is ghey).
I got into SC2 beta about 3 weeks after it started, but my uni halls internet connection blocked P2P downloads so I couldn’t get hold of the client for a few weeks until I went home. I’ve been playing a lot of SC2 ever since then.

How did you come about choosing your nickname?
When I was 10 years old on the msn gaming zone I had to come up with a nickname; I just thought that moose was a hilarious animal for some reason so I picked that. My first name was Moose_971 because obviously just Moose was taken :(

What is your favourite RTS game?

It would have to be an AoE game. Probably AoC since I grew up playing that game; then probably TAD as second. I never really got into AoM/TT very much but I played it a bit and I also played some AoE1 but I was too young to play it online.

Do you play any other online games?

I play mostly SC2 now, but I also play the occasional game of TAD or CS:S.

StarCraft II

What did you think of the StarCraft II Beta?
I loved it ^^ I’m not sure exactly how many games I played because of resets, but I think it was around 700 maybe. Since I didn’t have much SC experience I spent my first week in copper league but then over the next few weeks I crept slowly up the leagues to platinum, and then diamond when they created that.

How did you get your copy? Queue, mail, theft?

I got it in the mail. I pre-ordered from amazon.co.uk. I was really worried on release day that it might not turn up, and every time the doorbell rang I ran downstairs to open the door to find it was just something boring like my brother coming home. But luckily it did turn up in the end.

Are you liking the game at the moment?

Yeah I like it a lot. I think it’s too early for me to try and comment on balance or anything like that since there are still lots of mistakes in my game which would solve most of the problems I’m having with other races. I’m not a massive fan of the map pool for rated games either, but I do like some of the new maps that have become available with release. I’m hoping for a time when the map pool changes and we get more large maps with less annoying cliffs and destructible rocks; but maybe that’s just me being lazy and failing to adapt to maps that don’t really suit my style.

What is your favourite race and why?
Zerg. I like the lore behind the zerg and I also like the more ‘mechanical’ macro style of playing or whatever you want to call it.

What is your least favourite race and why?
Protoss. I don’t exactly dislike them, but ZvP is usually more frustrating to play than ZvT.

Can you describe your StarCraft II play style?
I like to win by macroing and out-massing my opponent. In most games my micro has always been pretty crappy, and I’m not great at harassment either; so my strategies usually come down to trying to just out-mass my opponent and attack move down the middle to victory.¬ I usually expand as early as is safe to do so and play passively until I have several bases running.

What are your strengths and weaknesses?

Dunno bout strengths but my weaknesses are probably that I’m a bit lazy with harassment/raiding, and when it comes to big battles I sometimes end up just attack-moving even if I’m not in a great position to do so. I also give up too easily; when a game starts turning bad for me I usually go to pieces and end up giving up, often in situations where I could’ve pulled it back if I had concentrated.

Any tips to a new StarCraft II player?
Well I’m not exactly an expert but I guess I can offer the obvious advice like watch your own replays and try to analyse what you did wrong in games.
I see lots of AoE players saying that they find the counter system confusing at first. I think that you shouldn’t worry about trying to learn that kind of thing when you play at the start because you won’t be able to remember it all probably anyway. Just start playing the game and learning which units do what and you will get the idea of what counters what after a few days of playing.
I suppose this is debatable but I think you should pick 1 race and stick to it. You will develop quicker than if you had tried to learn all 3 races and even though your knowledge of the others won’t be very deep, you will still learn some of their strategies and unit combos just from playing lots of games against them. Also because you will be developing your main race quicker, you will start to play against better opponents which will help to improve your overall game.

How often were you been playing the StarCraft II Beta? And now?
I played quite a lot during beta because I wanted to get a head start before release; I think I played about 700 games. I’ve been playing a lot since release because I wanted to get promoted to diamond asap and I’ve been playing quite a few custom/observer games with various people I know from RTSS and TAD. I played about 75 rated games and like 25 custom games in the first 3-4 days or so ^^

RTS-Sanctuary

When and why did you join RTS-Sanctuary?

I first joined RTSS in 07 to download some expert replays for AoE3. I downloaded recs and lurked the forums for a long time before I actually started posting. I started posting because I got frustrated several times at seeing people here trolling noobs who made threads asking for basic advice so I thought I’d help them out. Then after that I joined in with the community more because I wanted to make friends with people who played FP so I could get some games.

How often do you visit RTS-Sanctuary, and what for?
I visit about 9193812987 times a day to keep track of all the new threads and posts and try and help with stuff or sort out any problems I can.

What is your favourite thing about RTS-Sanctuary and why?
The replay uploader is better here than any other site I have seen, but all the other new features Robo is adding are nice too; such as the caster database.

What is your least favourite thing about RTS-Sanctuary and why?
Heaps of useless spam and one word posts (braces for replies to this thread all being one word).

Who is your favourite member and staff member?

:o I don’t like to pick favourites

The person behind the player

What have you got planned for your future life?
I just finished my first year of university. So my next 2 years will be spent studying philosophy and stuff I guess. Other than that I don’t really have any plans. I’d like to go travelling a bit more maybe when I finish uni; I’ve been around some places in Europe and I went around some of Asia for a month with some friends last year but I’d like to go back to places I haven’t been to in Asia like Japan/Korea well as some other places I haven’t been to like USA/Canada/Australia.
Also I’m going to bloodstock2010 in a few weeks \m/

What is your daily schedule?
I get out of bed around 11am-1pm (lol) because I have no job and no uni work to do at the moment. Then I have a shower, have lunch, turn on my pc and check RTSS and a few other sites. Unless I have something important to do or somebody calls me up to organise to do something I’ll probably just be at my pc most of the afternoon on forums or playing SC2. Then I’ll have dinner with my family and then either go back to playing SC2 or go down the pub or to a friend’s house something. I go to bed at like 1am-3am usually.

Do you have any brothers, sisters or partners? Do then play online games as well?

I have 2 brothers, one older and one younger than me. We’ve all played online games a bit but I play far more than they do. My older brother doesn’t really play anything much these days and I think my little brother is still playing GuildWars.

What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?
Obviously I play a lot of computer games but I also play bass guitar and I like cycling too. I also spend most of every day listening to music and I try to see as much live music as I can afford to every year. Mostly it’s metal but I go check out other things too if I can.

What kind of computer do you have (graphics card, processor, mouse, keyboard etc.)?
NVIDIA GeForce 9800GTX+, Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 2.4GHz, MS intellimouse explorer 3.0 (need a new one, this is slanted for right handed people and I hold my mouse in my left hand so it’s fruiting awkward), not even sure what keyboard this is, but it’s got lots of food stuck in it.

What is the first thing you do in the morning and the last thing before you go to sleep?
First thing: drink water
Last thing: drink water, sometimes read a book

What is your most embarrassing moment?

When I was in Thailand and I was climbing down the steps of this wooden hut thing in a village in the jungle and one of the beams I was holding onto snapped and fell off, hitting me on the head and making me fall down the steps. Everyone on the trek and some random toothless old Thai woman were laughing at me ^^ To make it worse I also managed to break another beam off a different part of the same hut whilst trying to leave the next morning.

What has been the best moment in your life to date?
When there was a buy one get one free special offer on enchilada kits at Asda. But seriously I’m not sure, I don’t really try to rank my experiences and nothing particularly stands out.

Do you like beer?
Yeah of course lul

Quick Questions

Favourite SC2 Map? Metalopolis
Favourite SC2 Race? Zerg
Favourite SC2 Unit? Ultralisk
Favourite SC2 Strategy? 14pool>16hatch into muta/ling/baneling
Favourite TV Show? Family Guy
Favourite Movie? Dunno lol I don’t watch many movies
Favourite Food? Crisps/Any kind of soup/Enchiladas can’t decide
Favourite Drink? Sainsbury’s Valencia Orange Juice
Favourite Colour? Blue
Favourite Sport? StarCraft 8)
Favourite Music? Black Metal

Word Association

Answer with the first word which comes to mind.

StarCraft II? Niiiice
Blizzard? activisionislame
Battle.net? crap
RTS-Sanctuary? <3
Terran? mech
Protoss? cheese
Zerg? kekeke
Robo? PHP help ^^
Viper? awesomeadmindespitewhatsomeofyounoobsthink
Zuta? He’s pretty sweet I guess
Moose? OP
Oxen? meh
Caribou? Fake moose
Deer? Poor man’s moose
interviewer (feel free to flame)? great guy (No word filter! :o)

Thank you for taking the time to fill out this interview Moose!
Np

This post has been edited by Moose: Aug 3 2010, 11:04 AM

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Prawny
post Aug 3 2010, 01:54 AM
Post #2

Brigadier
Group Icon

Submissions: None

Member No.: 79,493

Gamertag: Prawny331

QUOTE(Incog @ Aug 3 2010, 05:49 PM)

Zerg? kekeke

l2stalk incog ^_^

good job

IMO someone needs to do a robo interview not totally revolving around dow

+Quote Post
Zutazuta
post Aug 3 2010, 02:08 AM
Post #3

The King
Group Icon

Group: Staff Alumni

Member No.: 62,029

Gamertag: Zutazuta

I like Moose.

+Quote Post
Incog
post Aug 3 2010, 02:27 AM
Post #4

Cuteypie
Group Icon

Member No.: 63,573

Who doesn't like Moose? It's quite tasty barbecued with some mayonnaise.

Also Prawny what? Can you explain the "kekeke"?

+Quote Post
Prawny
post Aug 3 2010, 02:33 AM
Post #5

Brigadier
Group Icon

According to Urban Dictionary :
It’s what some koreans say in online games, it usually signifies joy, or sometimes its like a warcry. Some people mock koreans with this word too. Can be used with words such as giev or maybe even itam/
“ATTACK THE BASE! KEKEKE!!!”
“You giev itam? KEKEKE! (smiley face)”
Korean keyboards have a key that generates ‘ke’. Someone discovered that this annoys the hell out of westerners, and due to South Korean Starcraft Zergrush skills, it’s associated with Koreans online. Usually an expression of humor.
“OMG ZERGRUSH kekekekekeke”
Korean for “hahaha.”
“It is how the Koreans laugh while playing StarCraft, before collapsing into a coma for playing 85 hours straight. (smiley face)”
The sound a zergling makes wich is why its incorperated with a zerg rush
“omg the zergling went kekeke when it pwned the marine”
“terainplayer: zomg zerg rush
zerg player: kekeke nubs”

This post has been edited by Prawny: Aug 3 2010, 02:35 AM

+Quote Post
[A-USi]James246
post Aug 3 2010, 02:34 AM
Post #6

Brigadier
Group Icon

Member No.: 68,440

Nice

(one word reply intended to aggravate Moose)

+Quote Post
Prawny
post Aug 3 2010, 02:36 AM
Post #7

Brigadier
Group Icon

QUOTE([A-USi�)
James246,Aug 3 2010, 06:34 PM]
Nice

(one word reply intended to aggravate Moose)

but that wasn't one word

+Quote Post
[A-USi]James246
post Aug 3 2010, 03:20 AM
Post #8

Brigadier
Group Icon

Member No.: 68,440

Woops.

+Quote Post
cantermanda
post Aug 3 2010, 03:22 AM
Post #9

Captain

Group: Banned

Member No.: 68,112

cool interview!

+Quote Post
IamNigam
post Aug 3 2010, 03:37 AM
Post #10

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

Group: AoT Gosu

Member No.: 8,666

Nice interview :)

+Quote Post
Moose
post Aug 3 2010, 06:44 AM
Post #11

Moussaka
Group Icon

Member No.: 57,941

I'll add pic later np

+Quote Post
Oedy
post Aug 3 2010, 07:13 AM
Post #12

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,830

What a silly goose that Moose ;)

+Quote Post
Vorg
post Aug 3 2010, 07:19 AM
Post #13

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

Member No.: 51,493

weallthinkviperownsdespitewhatyouthink

+Quote Post
Hcnubano
post Aug 3 2010, 11:41 AM
Post #14

Private
Group Icon

Member No.: 104,985

I <3 Moose

+Quote Post
Narcotic
post Aug 3 2010, 01:11 PM
Post #15

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

Group: AoT Gosu

Member No.: 34,575

nice :D

+Quote Post

3 Pages  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicTopic Options
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Task

Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:27 AM
About Us  ·   Advertising  ·   Contact Us  ·   Terms of Use  ·   Privacy Policy