Fen
post Jul 23 2014, 11:13 AM
Post #3

Lieutenant-General
Group Icon

Group: Members

Submissions: None

Member No.: 109,150

Sam Harris is one of the few people who try to reason calmly against the negative aspects of religion. I don't share all of his views though.

I myself am fine with the whole of it as long as nobody forces their values on me and I am free to believe myself whatever i want, however i don't go killing people over it or burning up scientists. Personally, i am not religious. But there is that problem with the word atheist. That word shouldn't exist, just as there is no word for people who don't play golf. There is too much labeling in the world anyway.

Basically i have a problem with religion when people start to force their values on others and make use of coercion.

On a less serious note and in response to the title: George Carlin has some great material on the subject.

This post has been edited by Fen: Jul 23 2014, 11:17 AM

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
[JSS_]_Chef
post Jul 23 2014, 11:20 AM
Post #4

Major
Group Icon

Group: AoT Gosu

Member No.: 111,238

George is the man ^^ and its annoying how being an "atheist" is the poopie, and then spend your days wasting energy hating on religious people cause of their beliefs when it doesnt conflict with anything in your own life, you know? Tiring to see. "I myself am fine with the whole of it as long as nobody forces their values on me and I am free to believe myself whatever i want" all there is really.

+Quote Post
URMY_Hero
post Jul 23 2014, 11:37 AM
Post #5

General
Group Icon

Member No.: 56,039

Religion is outdated imo, I see religion as a rulebook of life ( same like the rulebook in a boardgame like Monopoly) . "You shall this", "you shant that"
These books were created in an age when not much people lived on the world and where all kind of factors ( environment, geography, astronomy, flora , fauna) were different.

On top , many of these "tellings, stories "can be interpreted differently these days.

"Angels from the heavens" , in firey chariots , or fire serpents : could just have been an alien encounter .
Maybe the wisdom found in religion is just a knowledge gift from another specie which came by , because they needed minerals and metals.

However religion is a fundamental pillar of life for loads of people at the moment. Complete dynasties based their life on it. Getting rid of it will remove the floor under their feet..
Maybe that is why Alien stuff is hidden away from us. It could create chaos and disorder.

This post has been edited by URMY_Hero: Jul 23 2014, 11:40 AM

+Quote Post
Fen
post Jul 23 2014, 12:18 PM
Post #6

Lieutenant-General
Group Icon

I think the reason it arose was simple ignorance. Ancient gods all stand for something for a reason:

"The god of the sun" "God of the sea" "God of weather" "God of love"

They all stand for phenomenon that were not scientifically understood yet. Planets have names of roman gods because they were not understood either. Now that we know more and more about the universe god retreats the niches we don't know. It's a "god of the (ever retreating) gaps". Now everything is only "interpreted symbolically", even though they can't be. oh well.

+Quote Post
Tribulation1
post Jul 23 2014, 12:27 PM
Post #7

Major
Group Icon

Member No.: 111,931

Gamertag: 간난

I'm an Atheist. I used to believe in gods, but as I grew up, I understood that men fabricated gods in an attempt of imaging himself in perfection in every sense.

In our religion, god can never err, he's ever youthful, he's an omniscient, omnipotent, omnimorphi, etc etc. And strangely enough, all the commandments of good practices and other stuff seem to come from him. I just think now that religion is a line that man made to discipline himself, through fear of the unknown, and in some instances, to one's own benefits. That is why I perceive religion to be an ambiguous entity, my sole reason which I don't seem to follow it.

+Quote Post
Fen
post Jul 23 2014, 12:52 PM
Post #8

Lieutenant-General
Group Icon

Nobody needs a reason not to follow religion. Just like nobody needs a reason not to play golf.

+Quote Post
[JSS_]_Chef
post Jul 23 2014, 01:00 PM
Post #9

Major
Group Icon

Group: AoT Gosu

Member No.: 111,238

QUOTE(Fen @ Jul 23 2014, 06:18 PM)
I think the reason it arose was simple ignorance. Ancient gods all stand for something for a reason:

"The god of the sun" "God of the sea" "God of weather" "God of love"

They all stand for phenomenon that were not scientifically understood yet. Planets have names of roman gods because they were not understood either. Now that we know more and more about the universe god retreats the niches we don't know. It's a "god of the (ever retreating) gaps". Now everything is only "interpreted symbolically", even though they can't be. oh well.

Stephen Fry bruvv

+Quote Post
DoD_Rangers
post Jul 23 2014, 01:24 PM
Post #10

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

Member No.: 78,686

Religion is a factor in most major decision (good or bad, but unfortunately, it tends to be negative). It's not necessarily the main factor though. Money/power own that.

Many people have different religious views because it's how they were grown up. For example, people growing up in a Brooklyn ghetto with one parent because his/her dad was killed by a shooting will have a different view of religion than somebody born in India near a monk temple. Why? The person born in Brooklyn will need God in a different way. He/she needs God to explain what happened to his/her dad.

I'm agnostic, but I do understand why people need to believe in a certain religion. However, like the previous posters, if you dictate major social/society issues on religion, then you have gone wayyyyy too far.

+Quote Post
Fen
post Jul 23 2014, 02:29 PM
Post #11

Lieutenant-General
Group Icon

QUOTE(mG_RaNgErS @ Jul 23 2014, 08:24 PM)
Religion is a factor in most major decision (good or bad, but unfortunately, it tends to be negative). It's not necessarily the main factor though. Money/power own that.

Many people have different religious views because it's how they were grown up. For example, people growing up in a Brooklyn ghetto with one parent because his/her dad was killed by a shooting will have a different view of religion than somebody born in India near a monk temple. Why? The person born in Brooklyn will need God in a different way. He/she needs God to explain what happened to his/her dad.

I'm agnostic, but I do understand why people need to believe in a certain religion. However, like the previous posters, if you dictate major social/society issues on religion, then you have gone wayyyyy too far.

+1. That's why i don't think it is alright to judge anyone by their religious views. however, that is a two-way street.

+Quote Post
PureDM_IamRich
post Jul 23 2014, 05:50 PM
Post #12

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

Group: Content Staff

Member No.: 37,771

Only religious person I know (my best friend) is only religious because he lost his father at a young age. So yeah, I can understand that, maybe I'd try and cling on to hope of seeing him again too but at some point you've got to realize you've been sold a lie.

At least I got him off his creationist view point now, AC's turn next.

+Quote Post
LNC_GoldenAxe
post Jul 23 2014, 06:37 PM
Post #13

Lieutenant-General
Group Icon

Member No.: 110,172

Fact, the most evil people on earth were Atheist:

1. Vlad Dracula
2. Joseph Stalin
3. Adolf Hitler

+Quote Post
Fen
post Jul 23 2014, 07:09 PM
Post #14

Lieutenant-General
Group Icon

I recommend everyone to stop using the term atheist.

otherwise please think of words for the following:

non-golfer
non-politician
non-soldier
non-diver
non-scientist
non-greent-shirtwearer
non-candysalesman
non-fireman
non-anarchist

you get it now?

+Quote Post
mG_Despair
post Jul 23 2014, 08:36 PM
Post #15

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,543

QUOTE(Fen @ Jul 23 2014, 08:09 PM)
I recommend everyone to stop using the term atheist.

otherwise please think of words for the following:

non-golfer
non-politician
non-soldier
non-diver
non-scientist
non-greent-shirtwearer
non-candysalesman
non-fireman
non-anarchist

you get it now?

what a dumb post

+Quote Post

4 Pages  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicTopic Options
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:13 PM
About Us  ·   Advertising  ·   Contact Us  ·   Terms of Use  ·   Privacy Policy