Lebkuchen_mann
post Jul 24 2014, 11:27 AM
Post #31

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

Group: Staff Alumni

Submissions: None

Member No.: 69,515

@Jolly - yes of course now we know how all these scientific things work, but in ancient times it wasn't the case. The theology of ancient civs was just as valid to them in their time as contemporary science is to us.

At the rate technology and science - and everything else, for that matter - is advancing today, just think how different our perspective will be in 10 years, or even 20 years! Think about what the world was like 20 years ago. It's crazy! :D
But anyways, people are in no way justified in scoffing or criticizing (i'm not insinuating that you are, im simply making a general statement) ancient times from a contemporary perspective lol.

@Rich, when you said your friend was sold a lie, I don't think that's a fair statement to make :S

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
[DoD]Hellsravage
post Jul 24 2014, 07:30 PM
Post #32

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

Group: Staff

Member No.: 45,923

QUOTE(iSaturnine @ Jul 23 2014, 10:45 PM)
Can God make a stone so heavy he cant lift it?

I used to share the same belief as fen that the word atheist was stupid as it defines you by what you are NOT, and not what you ARE, and tbh its sound idealistic logic, but in a world so dominated by religion in many countries, defining yourself as an atheist has an important 'power' because it denotes you from the 'norm' that is, religion as a whole (not Christian vs Muslim vs Buddhist etc). Atheism will only truly mean nothing when the non religious come to occupy the majority i think.

In any case, while at the end of the day i call myself an atheist, i'd call my self a humanist first. atheism is only one part of the definition, as it should be for everyone.

Good post

+Quote Post
DoD_J4Jc3
post Jul 24 2014, 10:28 PM
Post #33

The Rag Master
Group Icon

Group: Members

Member No.: 37,529

Gamertag: [DoD]J4Jc3

I'd forbid religion by law, burn all non-aesthetic religious objects, make pronouncing the word 'God' outside an academic context a criminal offense and imprison anyone who tries to practise it or talk about it in public. Religion is worse than cancer.

This post has been edited by DoD_J4Jc3: Jul 24 2014, 10:32 PM

+Quote Post
BoIt
post Jul 24 2014, 11:03 PM
Post #34

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

Group: Content Staff

Member No.: 72,411

Can't tell if you're trolling or not... if you are actually going to make a post like that j4 you better actually justify why you think that because a post like that is quite toxic by itself.

+Quote Post
i r n00b
post Jul 24 2014, 11:07 PM
Post #35

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,311

QUOTE(LNC_GoldenAxe @ Jul 24 2014, 01:37 AM)
Fact, the most evil people on earth were Atheist:

1. Vlad Dracula
2. Joseph Stalin
3. Adolf Hitler

fact

adolf hitler wasn't an atheist and neither was vlad

+Quote Post
DoD_J4Jc3
post Jul 25 2014, 08:39 PM
Post #36

The Rag Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(BoIt @ Jul 25 2014, 05:03 AM)
Can't tell if you're trolling or not... if you are actually going to make a post like that j4 you better actually justify why you think that because a post like that is quite toxic by itself.

Why exactly? I am not trolling at all.

+Quote Post
ArmyCore
post Jul 27 2014, 01:39 AM
Post #37

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

Member No.: 68,380

QUOTE(XpT_IamRich @ Jul 23 2014, 04:50 PM)
AC's turn next.

So glad you asked.

The root of all evil in the world is fear. This happens to have been my thesis on evil and divine alterity that I did in my first degree.

All "sin" stems from fear, and thus fear itself is the only sin. I fear no man alive nor dead, nor beast, nor vengeful calamity of nature. Only he who has purged himself of fear can be said to be free.

+Quote Post
ArmyCore
post Jul 27 2014, 01:43 AM
Post #38

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

QUOTE(Fen @ Jul 23 2014, 06:09 PM)
I recommend everyone to stop using the term atheist.

otherwise please think of words for the following:

non-golfer
non-politician
non-soldier
non-diver
non-scientist
non-greent-shirtwearer
non-candysalesman
non-fireman
non-anarchist

you get it now?

No. Theism is a claim to knowledge (that God exists): atheism is a claim to knowledge (that God doesn't exist). Agnosticism makes no claim to knowledge (God cannot be said to exist or not exist).

Therefore atheism is not a definition via negativa, but is a legitimate lable based upon their claim to knowledge.

You get it now?

+Quote Post
ArmyCore
post Jul 27 2014, 01:48 AM
Post #39

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

QUOTE(i r n00b @ Jul 24 2014, 10:07 PM)
QUOTE(LNC_GoldenAxe @ Jul 24 2014, 01:37 AM)
Fact, the most evil people on earth were Atheist:

1. Vlad Dracula
2. Joseph Stalin
3. Adolf Hitler

fact

adolf hitler wasn't an atheist and neither was vlad

Dracula certainly wasn't an atheist (and I don't see how he was that evil considering the times and region he lived in), but Hitler certainly was.

+Quote Post
ArmyCore
post Jul 27 2014, 01:50 AM
Post #40

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

QUOTE(DoD_J4Jc3 @ Jul 24 2014, 09:28 PM)
I'd forbid religion by law, burn all non-aesthetic religious objects, make pronouncing the word 'God' outside an academic context a criminal offense and imprison anyone who tries to practise it or talk about it in public. Religion is worse than cancer.

You sound even worse than the Taliban or ISIS. And who said atheists were rational?

+Quote Post
ArmyCore
post Jul 27 2014, 02:10 AM
Post #41

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

QUOTE(iSaturnine @ Jul 23 2014, 08:45 PM)
Can God make a stone so heavy he cant lift it?

That is a fallacious paradox because a stone exits.

If you hold that God exists, then you hold that God created existence. Therefore God must exist beyond that which he created, otherwise God would be co-existent with existence: the universe itself would be God. And of course, if God existed within existence then existence may very well have created God, and the origins of the universe are then impossible to explain (as God would simply be a larger and more powerful version of us, or whatever you may like to imagine him as being). Furthermore, God would be finite, because the fact that even we exist would mean that God couldn't be infinite, because there exists something beyond him, and of course, the idea of God is that he is infinite. Therefore, if you ask any religious person what he thinks of God, he will say that God exists beyond existence, as existence cannot account for existence.

Therefore your question as to whether God could create a stone so heavy he couldn't lift it is absurd because God created existence, and a stone exists, and because existence is finite, and God is infinite, there is no comparison between the two. So no, the answer is that the paradox itself is absurd.

Furthermore, what you're essentially asking is that if God (infinite), could create something infinite; and the answer is no, because 2(infinity) is equal to infinity. So yes, although God is infinite, he cannot create something infinite, because that would simply be himself, and furthermore, existence is necessarily finite, and since a stone can only exist within existence, it must necessarily be finite, and because God is infinite, even a stone which is as large as all of existence would be infinitely smaller than God.

+Quote Post
DoD_J4Jc3
post Jul 27 2014, 09:56 AM
Post #42

The Rag Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(ArmyCore @ Jul 27 2014, 07:50 AM)

You sound even worse than the Taliban or ISIS. And who said atheists were rational?

Not really. This discussion is completely redundant as religion has claimed/claims and will continue to claim an immense amount of casualties. Thus, it has to be completely eradicated. It is self-evident really. When you disagree, you are ignorant and not worth discussing with and thus this discussion is redundant. Better start thinking of a way to remove religion which is actually pretty difficult to do instead of wasting e-space on obvious things like religion's devastating effects.

This post has been edited by DoD_J4Jc3: Jul 27 2014, 10:00 AM

+Quote Post
DoD_Rangers
post Jul 27 2014, 06:01 PM
Post #43

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

Member No.: 78,686

QUOTE(DoD_J4Jc3 @ Jul 24 2014, 10:28 PM)

You can eliminate churches because it can promote irrational behavior, however, you can't imprison somebody that says "God" just because you want to11. You can't disprove God. The extreme atheism is almost as bad as extreme religion.

This post has been edited by mG_RaNgErS: Jul 27 2014, 06:02 PM

+Quote Post
ArmyCore
post Jul 28 2014, 02:14 AM
Post #44

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

QUOTE(DoD_J4Jc3 @ Jul 27 2014, 08:56 AM)
QUOTE(ArmyCore @ Jul 27 2014, 07:50 AM)

Not really. This discussion is completely redundant as religion has claimed/claims and will continue to claim an immense amount of casualties. Thus, it has to be completely eradicated. It is self-evident really. When you disagree, you are ignorant and not worth discussing with and thus this discussion is redundant. Better start thinking of a way to remove religion which is actually pretty difficult to do instead of wasting e-space on obvious things like religion's devastating effects.

It is the friction between opposing religions which causes conflict, and to solve this problem you propose eradicating all religion (thus eradicating the friction between them).

However, it is equally logical to eradicate all but one religion, and thus there would also be no friction. If everyone were the same religion, there would be no religious conflict, if no one were religious, there would be no religious conflict.

This is logically indistinguishable from the argument of jihadists. So my original observation stands unaltered. You are as irrational as those religious extremists to which you believe you are superior.

However, removing religion from the equation wouldn't mitigate the frequency or magnitude of conflict whatsoever anyways, because the violence of humanity is our genetic inheritance. Furthermore, wars are not simply fought for religion, they are far more complex phenomena than this, and as it turns out, none of any of the most devastating wars in human history were fought for or over religion, but for power in the form of territory, resources, control, secular ideological superiority, wealth etc.

In addition to this, it is clear that the "need to believe" (in whatever it may be, a religion, an ideology, a conspiracy theory etc.) also has genetic roots: mankind evolved in tandem with culture, and culture evolved in tandem with man, and as a result, the evolution of religion influenced our own biological evolution, in as much as our biology influenced our religions.

In fact, believing in relatively benign religions such as most contemporary forms of Christianity is beneficial because it prevents people from believing in dangerous and disruptive things (think of the disaffected youth who turn to violent political ideologies when their religion fails them). Furthermore, religion is a product of thousands of years of cultural and biological selection, which provided survival advantages for its adherents, and thus we can assume that there are many benefits to religion which you have left out of the equation entirely (which range from advantages gained through intellectual homogeneity, to altruism, to individual emotional benefits), and these should not be so lightly written off, especially when they are necessary for human life.

You should read:

http://www.amazon.ca/The-Righteous-Mind-Po...n/dp/0307455777

to give you some context and education on the subject, seeing as how you apparently lack any of the mental dexterity to grapple with anything beyond a stark binary dichotomy.

And yes, I am a great deal smarter than you, so you should just accept everything I say without questioning. It will be easier on your ego, and less time consuming for me.

This post has been edited by ArmyCore: Jul 28 2014, 02:24 AM

+Quote Post
Lebkuchen_mann
post Jul 28 2014, 12:27 PM
Post #45

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

Group: Staff Alumni

Member No.: 69,515

You're a very condescending person :)

The notion of the eradication of fear creating true freedom is interesting, though ^^.

+Quote Post

4 Pages < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicTopic Options
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Task

Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:36 AM
About Us  ·   Advertising  ·   Contact Us  ·   Terms of Use  ·   Privacy Policy