post Sep 11 2009, 01:32 AM
Post #1

Brigadier
Group Icon

Group: Members
AOM Replays: 0
Submissions: None

Member No.: 68,440

Today is September 11th and it has been eight years since it happened.

I find it quite remarkable, that in these eight years, no other major terrorist attacks have occurred (Bali Bombings, Mumbai Attacks and London Tubes weren't really that major).

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dPb_PapaHaefMasterMC
post Sep 11 2009, 08:24 AM
Post #2

Major-General
Group Icon

AOM Replays: 146

Member No.: 61,018

And in all honestly, George Bush had the tools to avoid the first terrorist attack with the intel he was receiving between his administration and alot of the collected intel from the Clinton administration

+Quote Post
Orion_Zorn
post Sep 11 2009, 08:38 AM
Post #3

General
Group Icon

Group: Silver VIP Member
AOM Replays: 21

Member No.: 2,212

He even had specific intel saying 'bin laden is going to attack the US, by hijacking planes and using them as weapons' but they didn't feel it was necessary to warn anyone.

Then after it happened the response was 'no one would ever have imagined they would use planes to attack us like this'. Amazing.

+Quote Post
[A-USi]James246
post Sep 11 2009, 09:21 AM
Post #4

Brigadier
Group Icon

If the USA warned everyone about everytime terrorists threatened them it would put everyone into panic. Some times the treats are just fake, but that's a vaild argument is do the public have the right to know?

+Quote Post
Viper
post Sep 11 2009, 09:34 AM
Post #5

ViperBot™
Group Icon

Group: Staff Alumni

Member No.: 10,610

QUOTE([A-US)
James246,Sep 11 2009, 04:02 PM]Today is September 11th and it has been eight years since it happened.

I find it quite remarkable, that in these eight years, no other major terrorist attacks have occurred (Bali Bombings, Mumbai Attacks and London Tubes weren't really that major).

I'd hardly consider those attacks 'minor'. Each involved a number of terrorists committing a planned and well-coordinated attack. Ok sure, maybe not on the scale of 9/11, but that doesn't mean to say that they aren't major attacks.

If you're looking at it merely in terms of the number of people killed, then you shouldn't be. 9/11 was effective as it was because the terrorists were somehow able to get away with such an audacious plan (refer to the first two replies).

Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terro...incidents,_2009 <- 3 weeks ago a series of car bombs killed over a hundred people in Baghdad. I'd call that a fairly major and coordinated terrorist attack.

+Quote Post
mG_Despair
post Sep 11 2009, 09:38 AM
Post #6

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

AOM Replays: 135

Member No.: 6,543

QUOTE([NerVe]_VipeR_ @ Sep 11 2009, 09:34 AM)
QUOTE([A-US)
James246,Sep 11 2009, 04:02 PM]Today is September 11th and it has been eight years since it happened.

I'd hardly consider those attacks 'minor'. Each involved a number of terrorists committing a planned and well-coordinated attack. Ok sure, maybe not on the scale of 9/11, but that doesn't mean to say that they aren't major attacks.

If you're looking at it merely in terms of the number of people killed, then you shouldn't be. 9/11 was effective as it was because the terrorists were somehow able to get away with such an audacious plan (refer to the above two posts).

Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terro...incidents,_2009 <- 3 weeks ago a series of car bombs killed over a hundred people in Baghdad. I'd call that a fairly major and coordinated terrorist attack.

I'd agree with your last statement. There have also been pretty significant attacks in other parts of the world since then. E.g. the terrorist attacks in Spain that many people credit with tipping the elections.

Of course you can always make some argument that since the loss of life is statistically minor it isn't that important. But having lived in the months after 9/11, it just isn't true. The fear is just pervasive.

+Quote Post
Viper
post Sep 11 2009, 09:46 AM
Post #7

ViperBot™
Group Icon

Terrorist attacks shouldn't be classified as 'major' or 'minor'. I don't think we can judge the success of an attack by the number of people killed. Look at such attacks instead by measuring how the attack fulfilled the motive of those involved. Did it instil a sense of fear? 9/11 sure did. As do other attacks around the world, especially when carried out in places where people may have thought themselves to be safe.

If a shopping mall in my town were attacked tomorrow, the terrorists would instil a great deal of fear in the community, even if there were limited casualties. 9/11 (actually, it is 11/9 to me) had a huge impact, but so have other attacks.

+Quote Post
[A-USi]James246
post Sep 11 2009, 09:52 AM
Post #8

Brigadier
Group Icon

QUOTE([NerVe)
_VipeR_,Sep 12 2009, 12:34 AM]
QUOTE([A-US)

If you're looking at it merely in terms of the number of people killed, then you shouldn't be. 9/11 was effective as it was because the terrorists were somehow able to get away with such an audacious plan (refer to the first two replies).

Major to me is where a lot of people die. I'm talking over 3000 people who died here for 9/11. I never said that the Bali Bombings (202 people), Mumbai Attacks (173) and London Tubes (56) were minor. I just said that they weren't major. I'd consider them intermediate terrorist attacks.

It surprises me how nineteen terrorists all carrying pocket knives could get through security. I would of only been eight when this happened, but I can still remember it, but not so much airport security back then. 9/11 changed the world of aircraft security.

One thing that surprises me is why the F16's didn't intercept any of the four planes. They had the chance too, but not so much the first one.

This post has been edited by [A-US]James246: Sep 11 2009, 09:53 AM

+Quote Post
Viper
post Sep 11 2009, 10:06 AM
Post #9

ViperBot™
Group Icon

Well if you really want to judge terrorist attacks on a scale of how many people were killed, you forgot to list a few 'major' terrorist attacks since 9/11.

14th August 2007 - 796 people killed by car bombs in Iraq.
1st September 2004 - 331 people killed in a Russian school.

I won't list any attacks with ~200 or less deaths, they're just 'intermediate'.

+Quote Post
dPb_PapaHaefMasterMC
post Sep 11 2009, 12:05 PM
Post #10

Major-General
Group Icon

Like it or not terrorism is developing into a very prevalent pseudo-government. Some would argue that religion is the strongest and most dominant form of control ever created-- couple that with new age radicalism, and you have a make shift governmental unit that operates out of fear mongering and scare tactics.

This post has been edited by jazzloveszuta: Sep 11 2009, 12:06 PM

+Quote Post
[A-USi]James246
post Sep 11 2009, 07:19 PM
Post #11

Brigadier
Group Icon

QUOTE([NerVe]_VipeR_ @ Sep 12 2009, 01:06 AM)
14th August 2007 - 796 people killed by car bombs in Iraq.
1st September 2004 - 331 people killed in a Russian school.

Those are of course big things, but they are not directly related to the USA or Australia. What I meant by nothing happening of that nature is that no terrorists have attacked the USA [/b]directly[/b] since. :ph34r:

+Quote Post
Viper
post Sep 11 2009, 11:41 PM
Post #12

ViperBot™
Group Icon

So you wouldn't consider an attack on an Australian or U.S. embassy a noteworthy direct attack then?

+Quote Post
dPb_PapaHaefMasterMC
post Sep 12 2009, 01:30 AM
Post #13

Major-General
Group Icon

wpwp

+Quote Post
[A-USi]James246
post Sep 12 2009, 01:59 AM
Post #14

Brigadier
Group Icon

QUOTE([NerVe]_VipeR_ @ Sep 12 2009, 02:41 PM)
So you wouldn't consider an attack on an Australian or U.S. embassy a noteworthy direct attack then?

You win. :sleeping:

+Quote Post
Zutazuta
post Sep 12 2009, 02:12 AM
Post #15

The King
Group Icon

AOM Replays: 25
Submissions: 1

Member No.: 62,029

Gamertag: Zutazuta

Unfortunately terrorism is alive and well.

+Quote Post

2 Pages  1 2 >
Reply to this topicTopic Options
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:29 PM
About Us  ·   Advertising  ·   Contact Us  ·   Terms of Use  ·   Privacy Policy