post Aug 15 2011, 05:45 PM
Post #31

Forever to be Remembered
Group Icon

Group: GOTW Reviewer

Submissions: 4

Member No.: 75,634

Agreed with Incog and Major(Quasar).
The replay system over here(AOM/AOT) is fine, don't change it!
Do you think you could reduce the loading time for this site by recoding it?
We won't get activity without being really easily accessible and, yes, unfortunately not without spending money/being sponsored.
Everyone knows where this leads to...SC2 is the game you should invest most into to get this site growing. That section is dead atm.(Before letting ppl take this on you should code the website for fast access though.)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MasterGberry
post Aug 15 2011, 05:47 PM
Post #32

Colonel
Group Icon

Group: Members

Submissions: None

Member No.: 105,643

Gamertag: MasterGberry

QUOTE(Cryplex @ Aug 15 2011, 03:45 PM)
Agreed with Incog and Major(Quasar).
The replay system over here(AOM/AOT) is fine, don't change it!
Do you think you could reduce the loading time for this site by recoding it?
We won't get activity without being really easily accessible and, yes, unfortunately not without spending money/being sponsored.
Everyone knows where this leads to...SC2 is the game you should invest most into to get this site growing. That section is dead atm.(Before letting ppl take this on you should code the website for fast access though.)

I will strive to make the new website as fast and efficient as possible. Least amount of queries and data retrieving as needed.

+Quote Post
KrIzZzY
post Aug 15 2011, 05:50 PM
Post #33

Colonel
Group Icon

Group: Platinum VIP Member

Member No.: 103,984

Gamertag: KrIzZzZy

you could always ask me and my brother to do you a flash site, help do some pages, or rather provide some templates! yes i am being serious, maybe good samaritans should keep mouths shut iono loll :rasb:

This post has been edited by KrIzZzY: Aug 15 2011, 05:54 PM

+Quote Post
MasterGberry
post Aug 15 2011, 06:26 PM
Post #34

Colonel
Group Icon

QUOTE(KrIzZzY @ Aug 15 2011, 03:50 PM)
you could always ask me and my brother to do you a flash site, help do some pages, or rather provide some templates! yes i am being serious, maybe good samaritans should keep mouths shut iono loll  :rasb:

I will not do a website entirely in flash :lol: But i would be interested in making some parts in flash. Send me some of your work via pm.

+Quote Post
Mythic_Freak
post Aug 15 2011, 06:30 PM
Post #35

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 51,037

Flash is so 2000...

But seriously, don't :/

+Quote Post
[DoD]Quasar
post Aug 15 2011, 08:38 PM
Post #36

GOTW Reviewer
Group Icon

Member No.: 66,835

If you're gonna elicit anyone's help or advice, it's Mythic Freak. The man's a genius :thumbsup:

QUOTE(MasterGberry @ Aug 15 2011, 11:22 AM)
QUOTE(DoO_Quasar @ Aug 15 2011, 10:16 AM)
I love almost everything about this website. Things that I feel need to stay for me to have the same feelings about this website:

1. The skin. I absolutely love the skin this website uses. Different colours could be used or whatever, but more or less, I love how this website looks. Adding the option for other skins could be cool though, depending on how the other skins look of course. More options for skins would be implemented
2. Replays. Everything about replays is amazing. It would be hard to imagine a better system.Check out http://www.voobly.com/match/view/4874017 Would be slightly different, but it could generate more ideas
3. I guess a 'Thanks' system would be nice. The DoD forum uses these and they're kind of cool. Looking into a Like system
4. Personally, I like the banners at the top that are used as menus. I suppose if someone were to be on a laptop, they might have more trouble than I have, but on a desktop with an actual mouse and not a trackpad, I have zero issues with these. If something could be done to keep the menus sleek and cool looking, I wouldn't mind an adaption to these.
5. Support for the Calendar. Reinstate it. Why?  Was it really used?
6. Posts. I love the systems of 'Fast Reply' and 'Add Reply, and how they work with '+Quote' and 'Reply.' This should not be changed at all imo. Me too
7. There are quite a few functions on this site which I don't even use, such as the '< Next Oldest - Current Forum - Next Newest >' things which appear below the '+Quote' and 'Reply' buttons. Not sure if anyone else uses these, but I find them useless and unnecessary. Less work for me to do xD
8. '5 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)'. This is what I see for this topic right now. I really like how each topic tells you who is viewing it. Definitely a must
9. Promotions. I feel a lot could be done to promote this site amongst the gaming community. I know this is a lot of work, and I'm unsure how to go about this without using any money. Maybe get something to sponsor us (I have no idea why someone would, but if something could be arranged for some company to get a benefit out of sponsoring tournaments on our website or something, that'd be really profitable for us).
10. This is just a question, can Google Ads read PMs on this site to know if you discuss the things you are forbidding from saying about them? Because you could generate some serious revenue if you sent out PMs telling everyone what to do in this regard...

What do you mean by point #10?

Add me on MSN and I will tell you. Google Ads does not allow you to say it on your forum. My MSN can be found in my profile.

+Quote Post
BoIt
post Aug 15 2011, 09:10 PM
Post #37

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

Group: Content Staff

Member No.: 72,411

I didn't read it all, but I think the replays need a minor change. If you can pull out the stats from the rec. Not display them on the actualy page of the recorded game, however a button which you can click to show this stuff.

+Quote Post
Ommani
post Aug 15 2011, 09:19 PM
Post #38

Cadet
Group Icon

Member No.: 27,961

Hi.

Not much time right now but I have found this website invaluable. I have learned so much from the manuals and the replay vids. Zero complaints. 100% appreciation.
Thank you for spending your precious time providing us with a wonderful source of knowledge :rainbow: .

+Quote Post
Adacc
post Aug 15 2011, 09:41 PM
Post #39

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

Member No.: 30,003

Gamertag: tEk_Adacc

I think this site is just fine. Sure there are little tweeks and turns that you can make here and there that will get a few more people here, but honestly, how many more people are you going to get? Maybe 10-20 active people?

The problem is not in the design of the website, it is in the games you support. Right now most of this website is supported by the Aoe crowd. That is a very limited market right now, even with Aoeo nearly upon us and the numbers it can bring. It isn't an rts game that makes other rts game communities want to be associated with it. For people that are not going to try it, it looks childish and so that is their set in stone opinion.

So next we have to identify what actually got people here in the first place. To do that we just look at what has happened.

What worked:

- Getting the Aot and subsequent Aoe3 crowd.
There was no major competition at the time. Robo was good friends with many of the top players. Top players = top replays = many average players + noobs/fanboys for a community

- Getting the DoW crowd
Robo was in the very first Dow beta and got to know some of the popular people/good players. They began to use this site and it grew into one of the top communities.

What has failed:

- WoW sanctuary
Robo tried to create this site after the game, and subsequently the communities, were already established.

- Sc2 push
We tried to establish ourselves long before the game was actually released, but there were too many already established communities to compete with.

- LoL intro
This could have been a huge foot in the door for RTSS, but we were too slow to implement anything for it. Many other sites were light years ahead of us. Now we are stuck trying to convert people over.

So what have we learned:

1. It is very, very hard to get people to switch communities. It is much easier and more effective to begin the community before the game is even released.

2. Communities will grow around experts, experts follow friends and of course cash.

3. The only way to get RTSS to the level of TL and Mobafire is to get in on a big game very early or to sit and hope Aoe4 takes a super jump in awesomeness and number of players.

This post has been edited by Adacc: Aug 15 2011, 09:42 PM

+Quote Post
[DoD]Quasar
post Aug 15 2011, 09:46 PM
Post #40

GOTW Reviewer
Group Icon

Tbh, not only a good post, but an excellent one, Adacc :)

+Quote Post
x2_kr
post Aug 15 2011, 09:57 PM
Post #41

Cadet
Group Icon

Member No.: 108,477

are not these boards old? like the ip powerboard is an old verison...i think they don't even licencee these to new clients anymore. this board seems very early 2000s the way it is set up. nothing wrong with non-flashy site, but alot of the coding is very oldschool and mashed up. needs reworking for sure i think

This post has been edited by x2_kr: Aug 15 2011, 10:02 PM

+Quote Post
Prawny
post Aug 16 2011, 01:40 AM
Post #42

Brigadier
Group Icon

Member No.: 79,493

Gamertag: Prawny331

QUOTE(redhrts @ Aug 16 2011, 09:27 AM)
Gberry,  I finally found out one instance of this site redirecting to a different portal for an unknown reason. 

When I'm on this page and click on your username under the "What you like/dislike about RTSS" heading, it takes me to the AoEIII portal.  Clicking "Home" again just takes me to the AoEIII portal homepage, not the RTS Sanctuary homepage.

BTW, The same is true for the thread title link as well.

That was me, I had problems with it. When you navigate through to posts from the front page (like news posts and go add a comment) it randomly throws you around portal, or something like that.

This place needs a dual portal device ;)

Also, I think my warn level is too high :l

Also, I like the My Discussions thing on AgeComm. The news posts thing is nice, but I find I miss some things from threads I've posted in.
(In case you didn't know, My Discussions is a list of threads that you've posted in)

ANother thing is the caster thing takes a while to pick up new videos.

This post has been edited by Prawny: Aug 16 2011, 01:55 AM

+Quote Post
[DoD]Quasar
post Aug 16 2011, 02:10 AM
Post #43

GOTW Reviewer
Group Icon

We have that here too if you've ever clicked on your name at the top or looked at your posts :whistling:

+Quote Post
MasterGberry
post Aug 16 2011, 02:15 AM
Post #44

Colonel
Group Icon

QUOTE(Adacc @ Aug 15 2011, 07:41 PM)
I think this site is just fine. Sure there are little tweeks and turns that you can make here and there that will get a few more people here, but honestly, how many more people are you going to get? Maybe 10-20 active people?

The problem is not in the design of the  website, it is in the games you support. Right now most of this website is supported by the Aoe crowd. That is a very limited market right now, even with Aoeo nearly upon us and the numbers it can bring. It isn't an rts game that makes other rts game communities want to be associated with it. For people that are not going to try it, it looks childish and so that is their set in stone opinion.

So next we have to identify what actually got people here in the first place. To do that we just look at what has happened.

What worked:

- Getting the Aot and subsequent Aoe3 crowd.
There was no major competition at the time. Robo was good friends with many of the top players. Top players = top replays = many average players + noobs/fanboys for a community

- Getting the DoW crowd
Robo was in the very first Dow beta and got to know some of the popular people/good players. They began to use this site and it grew into one of the top communities.

What has failed:

- WoW sanctuary
Robo tried to create this site after the game, and subsequently the communities, were already established.

- Sc2 push
We tried to establish ourselves long before the game was actually released, but there were too many already established communities to compete with.

- LoL intro
This could have been a huge foot in the door for RTSS, but we were too slow to implement anything for it. Many other sites were light years ahead of us. Now we are stuck trying to convert people over.

So what have we learned:

1. It is very, very hard to get people to switch communities. It is much easier and more effective to begin the community before the game is even released.

2. Communities will grow around experts, experts follow friends and of course cash.

3. The only way to get RTSS to the level of TL and Mobafire is to get in on a big game very early or to sit and hope Aoe4 takes a super jump in awesomeness and number of players.

Very good analysis and true. I actually plan on a new forum very soon for a new first seller game coming out :) I will probably add that shortly.

+Quote Post
Prawny
post Aug 16 2011, 02:25 AM
Post #45

Brigadier
Group Icon

Member No.: 79,493

Gamertag: Prawny331

QUOTE(DoO_Quasar @ Aug 16 2011, 06:10 PM)
We have that here too if you've ever clicked on your name at the top or looked at your posts :whistling:

recently read, and not as easily accessable as new posts.

+Quote Post

9 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicTopic Options
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Task

Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:12 AM
About Us  ·   Advertising  ·   Contact Us  ·   Terms of Use  ·   Privacy Policy