post Aug 27 2010, 01:29 PM
Post #1

Moussaka
Group Icon

Group: Staff Alumni
SC2 Replays: 1,303
Submissions: None

Member No.: 57,941

Today blizzard has announced that there will be a major patch coming sometime mid september including balance changes! Here is the original article:

Greetings, citizens of the Koprulu sector! StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty is celebrating its one-month anniversary and we’re extremely excited to witness the amazing community that’s come together around the game. To that end, we want you to know we are hard at work on the first feature and balance patch, and expect to have it completed and available by the middle of September. Patch 1.1 will contain a number of improvements including additional mod features, Editor improvements and bug fixes, some custom game improvements, support for NVIDIA’s 3D Vision, and more. We'd also like to share some specific plans for this patch with you.

To begin, we've heard a lot of feedback from our global community about standardized hotkey options. We're happy to announce that in patch 1.1 we are going to make the Standard (US) and Standard for Lefties (US) hotkey options available in all regions.

Balance Changes

We have several balance changes in store. One general change we're making is that friendly units will no longer provide vision after being killed. Enemy units previously revealed will no longer be targetable. Now let's break down the additional balance changes we're implementing.

Maps

We're going to be adding destructible rocks to the Desert Oasis map to make natural expansions easier to protect. In addition, the center map watchtower area is being narrowed.

Protoss

We have two key changes in mind for the zealot: the build time is being increased from 33 to 38 seconds, and the warpgate cooldown is being increased from 23 to 28 seconds. Zealot rushes are currently too powerful at various skill levels, particularly those that rely on rapidly assaulting an enemy base from nearby "proxy" gateways. We feel the window players have to scout for and fend off this rush is too small. We also want to address the problem of protoss being able to dump minerals a bit too quickly with the combination of warpgates and Chrono Boost.

Terran

There are several changes in the works for terrans. Reapers against zerg are stronger than expected. Due to the zealot build time increase, reapers would be a bit problematic in combination with proxy barracks, bunkers, and/or marauders against protoss. Therefore, we have decided to increase the build time of reapers as well from 40 to 45 seconds. Fast reaper + bunker, or fast marine + bunker rushes are problematic against zerg. Although this rush would never outright destroy the zerg player, we feel zerg suffers too much of a disadvantage from either having to cancel the fast expansion, or getting trapped inside the main base for too long, so we are also increasing the bunker build time from 30 to 35 seconds.

Siege tanks in large numbers are performing too well in all matchups. In the mid- to late-game, siege tanks are too dominant against all ground units. We want a small set of light and unarmored ground units to perform better against siege tanks. With this in mind, we're changing the Siege Mode damage of the siege tank from 50 to 35, +15 vs. armored; to correspond with this, damage upgrades will be changed from +5 to +3, +2 vs. armored. This change reduces the base damage of the siege tank against light and unarmored units, as well as the splash damage.

Battlecruisers currently lack good counters from the ground and still perform very well against a wide array of unit types. We're aware that it is not easy to get battlecruisers out for the cost, but at the same time, it is possible in both 1v1s and team games to create stalemate situations to bring them out. Overall, we feel that battlecruisers are too strong for their cost, and the terran-forced stalemate situations are causing less interesting gameplay. We will be lowering their damage against ground units from 10 to 8.

Zerg

Ultralisk damage is being decreased from 15, +25 vs. armored to 15, +20 vs. armored. This reduction is comparable to the changes being made to the battlecruiser and siege tank. Like the battlecruiser, ultralisks are simply too powerful for the cost, even though they are difficult to muster. Also, in combination with other units, ultralisks are difficult to counter from the ground. The ultralisk building attack (Ram) is being removed because the damage rate is too similar to its normal attack, which will be used against buildings instead. When ultralisks target tightly packed smaller buildings such as supply depots, the Ram attack is actually outputting considerably less overall damage than its normal attack, as Ram only hits a single target.

And Beyond...

We are reading your posts on the forums and creating lists of features and bugs to address in future patches. We have mid- to long-term plans to further evolve the Custom Game experience, and soon, enhance our social features with the addition of chat channels. We will be sharing more specific information in the coming weeks. As with all of our previous games, we will support StarCraft II for many years to come. Your feedback and participation is critical in making this not only the best game it can be, but also the most engaged gaming community in the world. We look forward to the implementation of patch 1.1, as well as sharing our plans for our future gameplay and Battle.net features.

We'll see you online!

http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/554901#blog

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bogger
post Aug 27 2010, 01:40 PM
Post #2

Major
Group Icon

Group: Members
SC2 Replays: 1

Member No.: 74,897

lobby lobby lobby!

+Quote Post
Druidz.Patjuh
post Aug 27 2010, 01:53 PM
Post #3

General
Group Icon

Group: Content Staff
SC2 Replays: 140

Member No.: 5,650

rocks :)

+Quote Post
Hastings
post Aug 27 2010, 02:02 PM
Post #4

GOTW Reviewer
Group Icon

SC2 Replays: 36

Member No.: 74,912

hmmm, not sure this will really adress zerg's problems, but it's not the final version of the patch hopefully.

+Quote Post
Sunnydeeeee
post Aug 27 2010, 02:09 PM
Post #5

Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 72,515

QUOTE(Hastings @ Aug 27 2010, 12:02 PM)
hmmm, not sure this will really adress zerg's problems, but it's not the final version of the patch hopefully.

slower reapers, slower bunkers, weaker tanks :D

seems that ZvT will be improved a bit perhaps

+Quote Post
Hastings
post Aug 27 2010, 03:09 PM
Post #6

GOTW Reviewer
Group Icon

SC2 Replays: 36

Member No.: 74,912

QUOTE(SunilD93 @ Aug 27 2010, 09:09 PM)

yeah, but my biggest problem has always been the inability to scout T&P consistently (no one in mid diamond has actually decent reaper micro. people who 5 rax reaper me usually just die because it's too hard to multi task. either their reapers die or they stop macroing after 3 min).
Scouting is still impossible, but I think that might be something that can be solved with different maps. As it is, too many maps have no place to hide overlords properly, but I think maps will improve greatly over time.

my second biggest problem is simply that zerg lacks options in strategies and unit mixtures. Terran has so many cool things like reapers, ghosts that snipe, nukes, helions, thors, really useful upgrades like blue flame and siege tech, cloaked banshees, etc. Protoss has cute forcefiled play, cute blink stalker play, phoenix raid parties, voidrays, DTs, etc.
I just feel like a machine playing zerg. I'm either going ling/bling/muta into ultra, or ling/hydra into ultra. Our "cute" stuff only involves burrowed roaches (that take ages to tech to and are so easily detected), burrowed infestors (see roach) and nidus worms (which are very expensive and mostly useless). I'd just like to have more options to play around with!

With the tank nerf hydras will survive 1 more shot, so maybe hydras will be viable in ZvT which would spice things up a bit. Also, ling/bling will still get 1 shotted, but the splash damage won't kill them anymore, so that's another huge deal.

I don't have much knowledge in ZvP, it has been my worst matchup by far, but I can't really say whether their nerfs will affect me much. I guess the 4 gate will be slightly weaker.

As a conclusion, I hope there will be more changes. I don't want P&T nerfed into oblivion, zerg buffs alone would make me happy :)

This post has been edited by Hastings: Aug 27 2010, 03:12 PM

+Quote Post
TibblesEvilCat
post Aug 29 2010, 07:59 AM
Post #7

Tibbles
Group Icon

SC2 Replays: 62

Member No.: 14,474

6-8 pool will be rape ;/, if vs T just boom drones to 14 then gas into bane bust QQ

This post has been edited by TibblesEvilCat: Aug 29 2010, 08:00 AM

+Quote Post
sG H2O
post Aug 29 2010, 03:40 PM
Post #8

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

Group: TAD Expert
SC2 Replays: 3

Member No.: 22,157

QUOTE(SunilD93 @ Aug 27 2010, 01:09 PM)

nope lol

+Quote Post
blade55555
post Aug 29 2010, 04:11 PM
Post #9

Lieutenant-General
Group Icon

SC2 Replays: 112

Member No.: 32,663

QUOTE(DrHouse_MD @ Aug 29 2010, 08:40 PM)
QUOTE(SunilD93 @ Aug 27 2010, 01:09 PM)

nope lol

Yeah honestly I think it makes terran that much more imba for a zerg to beat.

+Quote Post
LeGenD_
post Aug 29 2010, 11:59 PM
Post #10

Brigadier
Group Icon

SC2 Replays: 23

Member No.: 41,500

how can those changes actually not improve anything ryan? maybe explain to me? :P

+Quote Post
Samsara
post Aug 31 2010, 08:58 AM
Post #11

Lance Corporal
Group Icon

SC2 Replays: 0

Member No.: 105,411

I hope Blizzard is joking.

+Quote Post
Santiago4ever
post Aug 31 2010, 09:49 AM
Post #12

¯\(o_O)/¯
Group Icon

Group: DOW I Expert
SC2 Replays: 4

Member No.: 4,708

QUOTE(GoldenNeedle @ Aug 30 2010, 05:59 AM)
how can those changes actually not improve anything ryan?  maybe explain to me? :P

Most terrans doesn't do the reaper opening, the tank splash change only affects the 25% splash for lings/blings (from 3 hits to 4, 100% and 50% splash is still 1hit and 2hit) and hydras, hydras still gets demolished by bio so who cares >.>

Most terrans are unaffected by the changes, wheee. Or not entirely unaffected, they are now stronger vs protoss \o/

This post has been edited by Santiago4ever: Aug 31 2010, 09:50 AM

+Quote Post
4servant
post Aug 31 2010, 09:56 AM
Post #13

Lieutenant-General
Group Icon

SC2 Replays: 46

Member No.: 89,239

this patch is just the same as all other patches from the beta and all patches from warcraft 3, just shifting some imbalances arround.

+Quote Post
etrips888
post Aug 31 2010, 12:24 PM
Post #14

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 46,006

Would have been ok with the patch if it had EMP nerf at least..I guess I'll have to see how it plays out but PvT doesn't seem to be any easier.

+Quote Post
IKnowShade
post Aug 31 2010, 07:49 PM
Post #15

Captain
Group Icon

SC2 Replays: 3

Member No.: 7,106

QUOTE(etrips888 @ Aug 31 2010, 07:24 PM)
Would have been ok with the patch if it had EMP nerf at least..I guess I'll have to see how it plays out but PvT doesn't seem to be any easier.

emp is not imba?

zealot nerf is gay though..

+Quote Post

2 Pages  1 2 >
Reply to this topicTopic Options
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:20 PM
About Us  ·   Advertising  ·   Contact Us  ·   Terms of Use  ·   Privacy Policy