Post #76

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

Group: Members

Submissions: None

Member No.: 30,003

Gamertag: tEk_Adacc

QUOTE(Zutazuta @ Jan 24 2011, 08:01 PM)
Well if you think about it. I can make 80-100k a year with a good education where as without that education I can only make 50-60k (max).

Only the sith speaks in absolutes!

My uncle barely graduated high school and he has been making about $300,000 a year as a general contractor since 1990. Its down to about 100k in the past few years but he only works 20 hours a week and has a huge frikkin house.

I know at least 10-15 off the top of my head that are the same way. No college, lots of money. Of course all of them own their own company or are very good sales people.

QUOTE(Vorg @ Jan 27 2011, 08:52 AM)
Look at it this way, if you are good at what you do, regardless of whether you go to uni or not you should make a lot of money.

What I said above shows that this isn't just a fallacy, it has some truth to it. Although its not true 100% of the time.

On topic :P I paid about $3000 per year + another $600 in books to go to a mediocre university. My wife (I) paid the exact same for her schooling and graduated from BYU with social studies teaching degree. BYU is one of the top (if not the top) school in the nation for teaching as well as a few other area's of study. But then again they are a private university that is heavily funded by businesses owned by the LDS church.

Moral of the story, become a mormon, get a good education for cheap! :P

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DoD_J4Jc3
post Jan 28 2011, 03:00 AM
Post #77

The Rag Master
Group Icon

Member No.: 37,529

Gamertag: [DoD]J4Jc3

It has basically 0 truth in it :lol:

+Quote Post
[TOAO]Bastiaan
post Jan 28 2011, 05:27 AM
Post #78

Major-General
Group Icon

Member No.: 51,921

The richest people, like Adacc is somewhat stating, are usually actually people that have hugely succesful "uneducated" jobs. Construction, transport, stuff like that. However, for the millions of people working in that branche, only very few manage to set up their own company and actually get rich of it.

The point is that it's certainly possible to get rich from uneducated work, but on average you will just earn a lot more when you've been to university.

+Quote Post
VooDoo_BoSs
post Jan 28 2011, 02:12 PM
Post #79

General
Group Icon

Member No.: 45,786

QUOTE([TOAO�)
Bastiaan,Jan 28 2011, 06:27 PM]
The richest people, like Adacc is somewhat stating, are usually actually people that have hugely succesful "uneducated" jobs. Construction, transport, stuff like that. However, for the millions of people working in that branche, only very few manage to set up their own company and actually get rich of it.

The point is that it's certainly possible to get rich from uneducated work, but on average you will just earn a lot more when you've been to university.

What? The richest people in America (those who work on Wall St basically), are all extremely well educated, most of whom have graduate degrees from prominent business schools.

+Quote Post
Adacc
post Jan 28 2011, 02:24 PM
Post #80

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

Member No.: 30,003

Gamertag: tEk_Adacc

QUOTE(VooDoo_BoSs @ Jan 28 2011, 01:12 PM)
What? The richest people in America (those who work on Wall St basically), are all extremely well educated, most of whom have graduate degrees from prominent business schools.

If you think the richest people work on wall street, I think you are a bit misinformed. While they certainly make a lot of money, I doubt they could be considered the richest.

Quick question, do most actors/actresses have a college degree?

+Quote Post
Momojia
post Jan 28 2011, 02:46 PM
Post #81

Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 106,035

QUOTE(Adacc @ Jan 28 2011, 07:24 PM)
QUOTE(VooDoo_BoSs @ Jan 28 2011, 01:12 PM)

If you think the richest people work on wall street, I think you are a bit misinformed. While they certainly make a lot of money, I doubt they could be considered the richest.

Quick question, do most actors/actresses have a college degree?

Education does not = money. David Beckham has proved this.

+Quote Post
[DoD]SpOefT
post Jan 28 2011, 02:59 PM
Post #82

SpOefT, the legend ©
Group Icon

Group: AoT Gosu

Member No.: 3,596

look at bill gates or steve jobs :o

+Quote Post
Oedy
post Jan 28 2011, 03:40 PM
Post #83

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

Group: Staff Alumni

Member No.: 2,830

And Mark Zückerberg... The uberrich almost all quit school because they had such an ingenious idea which got them super rich.

But still it's a safe bet to go to uni, if you have a good idea you can drop out and still be rich, but that's not something you can count on happening, you can count on your degree on the other hand

+Quote Post
rlfn
post Jan 28 2011, 04:51 PM
Post #84

Major-General
Group Icon

Member No.: 693

I don't think most rich people are rich because they quit school, just they had a good idea and wanted to rush it. In fact, I think most rich people finish their degree before they go with their successful ideas.

For me, as a full time student, I got the standard government grants (Pell Grant and Resident State Grants) and went to state school. Each semester, I got a check for about $500-1,500 for books and random $300 checks after it automatically paid for classes that costed about $800 a credit: about 10k a semester. Since I didn't stay on campus, I didn't have to pay for their food plans or resident plans, but had money saved up and worked during the summer to pay for that.

+Quote Post
mG_Despair
post Jan 28 2011, 06:32 PM
Post #85

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,543

QUOTE(VooDoo_BoSs @ Jan 28 2011, 02:12 PM)
QUOTE([TOAO�)

I've actually worked on Wall Street, and most people who work their aren't rich at all! Only the higher ups.

+Quote Post
[TOAO]Bastiaan
post Jan 28 2011, 10:12 PM
Post #86

Major-General
Group Icon

Member No.: 51,921

QUOTE(VooDoo_BoSs @ Jan 28 2011, 09:12 PM)
QUOTE([TOAO�)

Hah sorry this is just plain wrong. Only the very top at wall street is truly rich and these are maybe a dozen people. No, the real money is in plain stuff and doing that properly. The Dutch 500 richest people includes mostly people working in transport, harbor services, sand, salt, roadwork, supermarkets etc. Then there are also a few who got rich owning clothing stores, a bakery, beer brands and stuff like that. But note that none of this has anything to do with being educated. In essence they are all plain tradespeople.

The point is, that these companies nowadays have managers who earn very handsome amounts. They are not nearly as rich as the owners (top 10 goes into the 10s of billions), but they earn a very nice salary and would - and this is the important part - not make such amounts if they were not high educated. This goes for the entire management, finance, PR and human resources departments and is true in any bigger company. So it is not true that to be truly rich you need a degree - statistically the degree actually doesnt get you anywhere at all. But to be anything in between hugely rich or about 1.5-2x the average income, it will be an immense help.

Btw important to note is that the Dutch economy is very information-intensive. This means that manual labor pays little while intelligence and 'white collar capabilities' count highly. Blue collar work is basically at the minimum income determined by the government - this should in an economic sense be better in countries like the USA or Australia. But this, funnily, also means that the relative gap between the supremely rich doing crude trades and the degree-intensive trades is actually even bigger.

+Quote Post
]{ings_Pwn
post Jan 29 2011, 12:38 AM
Post #87

Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 97,834

Here is how it is in America: http://www.earnmydegree.com/online-educati...tion-value.html
Yes, its 10 years old but the ratios can't have changed much.
Basically on average people with college education makes tons more money. If you look at the second chart it says on average lifetime earnings is only $4.4 million for people with professional degree? what about people who have billions and billions of dollars? Thats where entrepreneurship comes in. Taking risks to make money(start a business doing something, like bill gates or whoever owns walmart). You don't need a college education for that(although it helps), but its always a risk.

Those are your two options, unless you're one of the tiny percent of the population who makes millions being an actor or athlete. Someone mentioned most people in Holywood don't have college education, but apparently there aren't enough of them/they don't make enough to raise the average salary above $30,400.

So going to uni is gonna get you money if you're just an average person. If you make millions doing sports, being an actor or owning an extremely successful business, good for you, but you're a very rare case.

+Quote Post
JSS_Smoort
post Jan 29 2011, 09:09 AM
Post #88

Lieutenant-General
Group Icon

Member No.: 66,530

Today and 20-30 years ago is a big difference.
Before you could get rich with almost no diploma with some nice ideas. Today no diploma = gg

+Quote Post
DoD_J4Jc3
post Jan 29 2011, 09:55 AM
Post #89

The Rag Master
Group Icon

Member No.: 37,529

Gamertag: [DoD]J4Jc3

The number of people with a uni degree is proportionately the same now and 50 years ago.

+Quote Post

6 Pages « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicTopic Options
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:54 AM
About Us  ·   Advertising  ·   Contact Us  ·   Terms of Use  ·   Privacy Policy