[DoD]Quasar
post Jan 21 2011, 06:05 PM
Post #211

GOTW Reviewer
Group Icon

Group: Members

Submissions: None

Member No.: 66,835

QUOTE(VooDoo_BoSs @ Jan 21 2011, 07:50 AM)
QUOTE([TOAO�)
Bastiaan,Jan 20 2011, 08:00 AM]
QUOTE(VooDoo_BoSs @ Jan 18 2011, 12:05 PM)
QUOTE([TOAO�)
Bastiaan,Jan 16 2011, 06:58 AM]
QUOTE(VooDoo_BoSs @ Jan 13 2011, 05:34 PM)
Ok, so in 4 days I have to enroll, and I'm kind of torn.
I have a possibility of two courses, Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Commerce, but will get an offer of only one of the above depending on available places ect (my score is exactly on the borderline between the two). I've narrowed down my majors to the below, and was wondering about how to narrow it down further.
If BSc: Mathematical physics, physics, Mathematics and Statistics, or engineering.

If BC: Actuarial sciences, Business (not really keen on, no maths so it'd be boring), economics, finance (leaning towards), or management (again a little boring).

I'm so confused on which to major in, because they all look the same lol :P

With BSc i'd definitely go for Math & Stats, advanced stats knowledge is considered vital for many masters degrees and every job you can think of concerning research, which is a lot more than you'd imagine. I'm doing a minor in stats for that reason.

I woulndt to actaurial sciences, frankly because you'll get a standard office job. You will always be employed under a manager making a pretty decent wage, but there's little freedom or further potential. Finance has this problem to a lesser degree. Economics is a great base for anything commerce-related and is a great way to keep your options open for masters degrees. I get the feeling that you don't want to do management or business, so i'd settle for economics, see what you like especially within economics and find money/scholarships for a masters degree at an Ivy League Uni or Berkeley. That's pretty much guaranteed relatively highly paid jobs and if you do the right master awesome potential for management functions, or even politics if you want that.

Good post.
So I got accepted to the university and will be enrolling in the next couple days to do Mathematics & Statistics, which is a pretty solid course at Melb uni (only 3 years), but has a TONNE of graduate pathways (I'll be definitely doing a graduate degree). I feel kind of lucky, as it's the best school in Australia to do this kind of degree (and most others), and I really didn't do much work throughout the year, so I'm kind of giving up video games for this year. I'll still be posting in oftopic, but for those of you who know me from the AOE3 section, I'm unlikely to ever post there really, as I have a lot of aspirations I want to accomplish this year, and I feel that video games really hold me back.

Haha you'll have enough time man. I'm going to an honours college and I have plenty of spare time even with social poopie pretty much every night, debating committee, party committee and a fraternity

I'm going to start competing in powerlifting (something I've been doing for a while, but never competitively), because University of Melbourne is where the National head coach trains, and I can become a member for free & train with the best lifters in the country. I also want a part time job, and want to devote at least a couple hours of study every day (I really want to be #1 in all my classes), so any spare time I have I definitely don't want to devote to video games :P

:thumbsup:

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Vorg
post Jan 21 2011, 06:41 PM
Post #212

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

Member No.: 51,493

but u wont be in top 10 in aoe3. If i had that it would be at the top of my resume.

also monash>mu :P

This post has been edited by Vorg: Jan 21 2011, 06:43 PM

+Quote Post
VooDoo_BoSs
post Jan 21 2011, 11:34 PM
Post #213

General
Group Icon

Member No.: 45,786

QUOTE(Vorg @ Jan 22 2011, 07:41 AM)
but u wont be in top 10 in aoe3. If i had that it would be at the top of my resume.

also monash>mu  :P

pft U wish. 99% of all rankings put Umelb at #1 or #2 in Australia, with Monash usually behind ANU, Usyd, UNSW, Umelb.

+Quote Post
Vorg
post Jan 22 2011, 03:28 AM
Post #214

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

/sarcasm

right?

its better for the course i do anway, not sure about other courses. I thought the new model was stupid.

This post has been edited by Vorg: Jan 22 2011, 03:28 AM

+Quote Post
ultradumbass
post Feb 12 2011, 01:54 AM
Post #215

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 106,225

The best way to decide is to try to break your ideas into more narrow categories. The first question should be why are you even going to University in the first place, and merely saying for more profit is not actually a good answer.

Many who go to University end up into more debt because of the tens of thousands of dollars they invested in a degree that generally is about three to five years, depending on the University and course you are taking. Suppose you want to work within a corporation. Though some will only take people with a University certificate for recommendation, many others will take whoever has more hands on experience working.

By the time you've left University not only have you spent about twenty to thirty thousand or more dollars, however that is also a few years worth of work salaries you will not receive back. Plus, if someone who doesn't go to university is smart and invests their money into bondage or compounded interest, the money accumulates overtime.

Mathematically speaking this means about 20,000-40,000 dollars in non-university degree related job money has gone in waste but also you lost a few years in compounded interest. So say every year you got a 3% compounded interest, it means the first year you might accumulate 1200 dollars, then 1236 cents next year since 3% more than 1200 dollars is that total. And keep adding that for the next 50 years could mean several thousand more dollars lost. Not to keep in mind going to a job where you didn't even need University to work in the first place and there is a surprisingly large number, means that thousands of people already have years of experience working at the same place, wanting the same promotions. If there was the employer, would he take the worker he's known for many years, and obviously enjoys since he hasn't fired him, and therefore knows he has years of experience, or someone who came out of a classroom to learn what he wants, yet doesn't know the person nor does the person actually have working experience. In 90% of cases the latter would not be chosen.

Going to University is not a pathway to happiness, that is just a myth and propaganda of course for Universities to make more profit, since just like any other location that takes money such as food companies or automobile companies who claim to be in the best interest of the customer is still business, so obviously they are not going to admit that there is another way around University.

Going there is a risk and it should only be the choice if you believe your gamble would pay off more than your strategy of not going. However, supposing you do go there. My recommendation is to take a series of Minors. For anyone reading not yet old enough for, or doesn't understand the term, a Minor is when you take a small set of courses, usually 4-6 credits as a way to attach to a major or to sometimes have a feel towards a certain subject and be able to have a better idea on what to Major in, in the future.

Since you claimed to have had a high interest in Scientific and Mathematical related programmes you should focus on Minors relating around these courses. However, I advice you not to overwork yourself. Take no more than four minors, and that is only if you are not doing the Major right away.

If you are a high lover of animals than take Zoology, if you like the Planetary System, take Earth Science, if you enjoy the Solar System and Universe take Astronomy, if you enjoy the Ocean take a Course in Oceanography.

Once you know what motivates or inspires you more, the next step is asking what are you going to do with that degree? If you just want to be a writer for instance, there is really no sense going to University to take English and Writing courses. Being a good writer is something that comes naturally and it is not something someone can teach you, you have to discover that on your own.

The reason a minor is always important at the start is because should you change your mind on what you wanted to Major in, at least you have earned several credits and will be able to re-do your degree all over again at a much faster rate. If you just want to take the course because it interests you but have no career plans with it, and it is not something that can just be learned from spending a few hours at the library, you should just learn it on your own free time. It is less time consuming that way, it costs less and you are able to focus more on finishing the actual Major itself. Though of course if the reason you choose to do it, is to change a Major but don't necessarily want to do a Minor to have an in class experience of the subject, most Universities also allow Electives. Electives are like a Minor except it is generally only a single credit which you personally have chosen out of your own desire, though Electives should only be used before starting a Major or if you start having second thoughts of your Major.

The final and last step is of course knowing where you want to go. If you don't really care where you go then this is not important, but for those who want a decent University that does not cost too much it is much more complicated than that. First you need to see what qualifications you need to even apply. If you don't have the grades or credits needed you won't be accepted. You should try to meet your professors too, and then get insight opinions from past students who knew him. Whether they say they liked or disliked him should not be your reason for accepting or declining him to teach. Since everyone has their own ways of learning and standards.

Find a professor who is not too gentle. The reason is not to find a cruel professor that will try to break your spirit and make you drop out within the first semester, but you don't want one who will accept and give you A's on every piece of work you do simply to be nice and "motivating." Though of course some motivation is good, you need to realise not everyone will be motivating you, however not everyone is necessarily out to destroy you either. Which is why a professor who is in the middle would fit both backgrounds to some degree or other.

Well now I hoped this helped.

+Quote Post
Vorg
post Feb 12 2011, 03:04 AM
Post #216

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

lol

+Quote Post
VooDoo_BoSs
post Feb 13 2011, 10:39 PM
Post #217

General
Group Icon

Member No.: 45,786

QUOTE(Vorg @ Feb 12 2011, 04:04 PM)
lol

+1

+Quote Post
LoSt ReDEyE
post Feb 14 2011, 01:34 AM
Post #218

General
Group Icon

Member No.: 17,858

skim read it, stupid post.

+Quote Post

15 Pages « < 13 14 15
Reply to this topicTopic Options
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Task

Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:21 PM
About Us  ·   Advertising  ·   Contact Us  ·   Terms of Use  ·   Privacy Policy