[ Standard ] · Linear+
buhanis_son
post Dec 31 2014, 11:39 AM
Post #16

Civilian

Group: Banned

Submissions: None

Member No.: 118,145

QUOTE(DoD_J4Jc3 @ Dec 31 2014, 06:16 PM)
sorry for triple post

loled

I admit, I wasnt really sorry at all :)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lebkuchen_mann
post Dec 31 2014, 02:28 PM
Post #17

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

Group: Staff Alumni

Member No.: 69,515

Let me clear some stuff up: Thor's economy and build orders are quite simple, so he is easy to play on that regard. As I said before, he's very difficult to succeed with because of what j4 said with military.

What buhani said is wrong about military micro. You need to be careful with which battles you choose to fight and micro your ass off if you want to gain any type of advantage from the fight. Norse units are very weak, the counter system is difficult to deal with, therefore he is difficult to succeed with because afterall, military dominance will end the game.

I wrote a guide for Nilla Thor which is quite applicable to aot - but there are some differences of aot that o can point out to you. Hellsravage also wrote a Thor guide for aot. My style doesny agree with it 100%, but it's definitely good info.

like I said, whichever you decide, watch recs from your perspective plus your enemy's, and we are happy to give advice when asked for

+Quote Post
Jmcq
post Dec 31 2014, 06:32 PM
Post #18

Private
Group Icon

Group: Members

Member No.: 104,452

QUOTE(Lebkuchen_mann @ Dec 31 2014, 11:28 AM)
Let me clear some stuff up: Thor's economy and build orders are quite simple, so he is easy to play on that regard. As I said before, he's very difficult to succeed with because of what j4 said with military.

What buhani said is wrong about military micro. You need to be careful with which battles you choose to fight and micro your ass off if you want to gain any type of advantage from the fight. Norse units are very weak, the counter system is difficult to deal with, therefore he is difficult to succeed with because afterall, military dominance will end the game.

I wrote a guide for Nilla Thor which is quite applicable to aot - but there are some differences of aot that o can point out to you. Hellsravage also wrote a Thor guide for aot. My style doesny agree with it 100%, but it's definitely good info.

like I said, whichever you decide, watch recs from your perspective plus your enemy's, and we are happy to give advice when asked for

Thanks for all the help. I think I will just mess around with both Zeus and Thor and see which I prefer when I get home. I'll try and post some recs for criticism and watch some experts play both.

Cheers.

+Quote Post
buhanis_son
post Jan 1 2015, 06:18 AM
Post #19

Civilian

QUOTE(Lebkuchen_mann @ Dec 31 2014, 09:28 PM)

Yes, you can't afford to lose battles with norse same as with some other civs, that part is true. So don't. It's not so hard to learn to see which battles you are going to win and which you are going to lose. Retreating from a battle requires you to click mouse exactly 2 times. But norse military overall is very good, better than most hardcore norse fans like to admit, and mostly requires not much micro since there are no hard counter units. Usually you see people like lebkuchen here write something like "norse military is so weak" in a lost rec game description, and when you actually watch the game you see that they have not bothered to make any armory ups, or have just totally misused their army in many ways.

Vanilla Aom is a bit different story, because there's more classical fighting where every single small advantage is important. Also it's more about raiding, which does require some micro. But the same applies to all civs in 'nilla, not just thor or norse.

And I am not buhani, I am his son.

+Quote Post
julmust__
post Jan 3 2015, 07:35 AM
Post #20

Corporal
Group Icon

Member No.: 116,024

To be honest, I believe Thor is a really good choice to a particular point. It's easy to get a intermediate level with Norse, (EE 1800) but hard to excel as them. This new player have no intentions of playing at a expert level, thus Thor and norse is great!

+Quote Post
Lebkuchen_mann
post Jan 3 2015, 08:55 AM
Post #21

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

Group: Staff Alumni

Member No.: 69,515

@buhani's son.
k lol, lets see your awesome norse skills and prowess

+Quote Post
buhanis_son
post Jan 3 2015, 09:19 AM
Post #22

Civilian

Seriously, you claim that simply going ragna+fw every game with zero micro doesnt win lots and lots of very cheap games until about 1800 level?

About my skills and prowess, it doesnt really matter how good a player people think I am. I said that personally, after thousands of games quite evenly divided among all civs, all my best results have been with norse. I think my opinion matters perhaps even more than someone's who has played 10 000 thor games and 20 games with other civs. Even if he's currently slightly better thor player than I am.

+Quote Post
Jmcq
post Jan 3 2015, 10:17 AM
Post #23

Private
Group Icon

QUOTE(julmust__ @ Jan 3 2015, 04:35 AM)
To be honest, I believe Thor is a really good choice to a particular point. It's easy to get a intermediate level with Norse, (EE 1800) but hard to excel as them. This new player have no intentions of playing at a expert level, thus Thor and norse is great!

I think this is a fair point. The likelihood of me being able to play/practice enough to play at an expert 1800+ level with any god seems slim -- I'm in the middle of a PhD program :lol:

QUOTE(buhanis_son @ Jan 3 2015, 06:19 AM)
Seriously, you claim that simply going ragna+fw every game with zero micro doesnt win lots and lots of very cheap games until about 1800 level?

About my skills and prowess, it doesnt really matter how good a player people think I am. I said that personally, after thousands of games quite evenly divided among all civs, all my best results have been with norse. I think my opinion matters perhaps even more than someone's who has played 10 000 thor games and 20 games with other civs. Even if he's currently slightly better thor player than I am.

Could you post some of those Thor recs then? Cheers.

+Quote Post
dahal32
post Jan 3 2015, 11:48 AM
Post #24

2nd Lieutenant
Group Icon

Group: GOTW Reviewer

Member No.: 117,419

Gamertag: gannan

QUOTE(buhanis_son @ Jan 3 2015, 08:04 PM)
I think my opinion matters perhaps even more than someone's who has played 10 000 thor games and 20 games with other civs.

Okay, enough bullpoopie read for a day. Calling a day from RTSS.

I think you've got some issues, buhani's son. You claim to know a lot but still make stupid ass topics with questions only beginners would have the audacity of asking(because they dunno the stuff).

+Quote Post
buhanis_son
post Jan 3 2015, 11:51 AM
Post #25

Civilian

I have asked a lot all through my life, so I have also learned a lot. I don't see any paradox there.

+Quote Post
Jmcq
post Jan 7 2015, 02:11 PM
Post #26

Private
Group Icon

Played my first online RTS game ever. Got beaten badly which I guess is the worst thing that could happen so at least that's over with haha.

I posted it here: First Game

I got contained badly and missed my opportunity to expand (I had plenty of resources but I wasn't paying attention). Paid for it in the end when I was stuck on 1 TC and my opponent had 4 including the one outside my base. I also kept getting supply capped, really need to work on that.

+Quote Post

2 Pages < 1 2
Reply to this topicTopic Options
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:39 AM
About Us  ·   Advertising  ·   Contact Us  ·   Terms of Use  ·   Privacy Policy