Post #1

Colonel
Group Icon

Group: Members
DOW II Replays: 0
Submissions: None

Member No.: 105,643

Gamertag: MasterGberry

Okay. So I have been doing a lot of thinking recently, and I mean a LOT. I am considering re-coding the entire website from scratch. This project would probably start in a month when I go to school and have more free time, and it could be an ongoing project for up to a year. :lol:

This website has a lot to it, but I really dislike how some of it was mixed in, and I am sure if Robo could go back and re-do it from the beginning, he probably would too. The website code is mixed in all over the place, makes modifying the forum software impossible, as there is custom code everywhere.

I want to know what you guys think the best features, and the worst features of this website are. What you love that you can't find anywhere else, what you find easy because its just that easy, what you find complicated that should be made easier, what you absolutely hate, what you first found difficult and may now not find so hard, and such.

In a long term idea, i would like to see this website REALLY take off, and become a central area for RTSS games. Look at http://www.mobafire.com/ This is one of the most popular websites I know of. Take a few minutes and let us know what you love about this website, what you don't like. In the long run I would introduce more features that they possess that we do not also.

There are a few reasons to this whole change in the code behind the website and the appearance on the front end.
1) I am still learning how to code, and re-doing the entire website would teach me more then any number of books could.
2) It will make adding new features easier, the code more OOP (for those of you who know programming), and all around cleaner and friendlier.
3) If the Sanctuary Network starts to grow, then i could easily take this framework which I would have built from scratch and create new websites with it as well.

In the short term, I have a month before I start school again. I would really like to see a few changes around the website made if possible to make it easier to use in the mean time. What do you guys think we could do to make it more useful, easier, and such? I think the menu bars are kinda a mess, but I really want to hear what you guys have to say.

On a side note, if the new website layout does get completed, no data will be lost. We will port all of the old information into the new DB as well. May have to write some converters, and may archive a lot of it and reduce the number of active posts...but we can worry about that more as we get closer to it :P

I would really appreciate as much feedback as possible, old members, new members, guests who have not registered yet. I want to hear from all of you! :thumbsup:

EDIT: I already see some of you just reading and leaving this topic. YOU BETTER WRITE SOMETHING DOWN >_<

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
J4_Timaeus
post Aug 15 2011, 11:18 AM
Post #2

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

Member No.: 64,443

Gamertag: Prurient

I'd like:

1. AoM+AoT Portal back; right now I need to use the SC2 one, because if I choose the AoM one I won't be able to view AoT Recs and vice-versa.
2. Rating games should be easier, maybe you should have to collapse that menu in order to do it...or just implement a Like system for posts
3. Bigger avatar size, I once posted a thread in Staff forums about it, and with preview pics for my suggestions.

I'm fine with everything else I think :P

+Quote Post
[DoD]SpOefT
post Aug 15 2011, 11:37 AM
Post #3

SpOefT, the legend ©
Group Icon

Group: AoT Gosu

Member No.: 3,596

or just implement a Like system for posts

+Quote Post
LoSt Cultivate B.I.G.
post Aug 15 2011, 11:50 AM
Post #4

Major

Group: Banned

Member No.: 31,815

The first thing that comes to mind is the menus... trying to CLICK OUT from one portal to another is a nightmare (menus auto collapsing). I don't know if I need to explain this further.

+Quote Post
MasterGberry
post Aug 15 2011, 11:59 AM
Post #5

Colonel
Group Icon

QUOTE(ChiLLz @ Aug 15 2011, 09:50 AM)
The first thing that comes to mind is the menus... trying to CLICK OUT from one portal to another is a nightmare (menus auto collapsing). I don't know if I need to explain this further.

Please do, get as specific as you can :) With the new website layout I will try to implement a multi-portal system, but you will still have a "primary" portal and the rest can be secondaries.

+Quote Post
redhrts
post Aug 15 2011, 12:05 PM
Post #6

Warrant Officer
Group Icon

Member No.: 107,669

1. Navigation

a. For guests and visitors, they can navigate using the menu bar, but the site won't let you navigate using the "latest" panel on the left side without logging in. Remove "latest" clicks from login redirect?

b. I would like to be able to login on the homepage by entering my username and password without having to click "login" first each time I login (w/o saving my info on the computer).

c. The menu bar constantly changes. I would like to click the same link on the menu bar no matter where I was originally on the forums.

d. The site will sometimes redirect me to an unrelated section of this website like AoEIII or AoM:Titans portals and the AoEO Online link will disappear.

e. Homepage menu bar sorted by game family rather than by game resource. ex. "Age" menu bar could contain links to AoE II, AoM, AoM:T, AoE III and AoEO portals. Individual portals would then have the "replays", "casters", "downloads", etc. Links to general, staff, and misc. forums would remain on the homepage. Portal pages like "rts-sanctuary.com/aoeo" would be nice.

This was just a brainstorm...I'll continue to add when I have time.

This post has been edited by redhrts: Aug 15 2011, 12:18 PM

+Quote Post
[DoD]Quasar
post Aug 15 2011, 12:16 PM
Post #7

GOTW Reviewer
Group Icon

Member No.: 66,835

I love almost everything about this website. Things that I feel need to stay for me to have the same feelings about this website:

1. The skin. I absolutely love the skin this website uses. Different colours could be used or whatever, but more or less, I love how this website looks. Adding the option for other skins could be cool though, depending on how the other skins look of course.
2. Replays. Everything about replays is amazing. It would be hard to imagine a better system.
3. I guess a 'Thanks' system would be nice. The DoD forum uses these and they're kind of cool.
4. Personally, I like the banners at the top that are used as menus. I suppose if someone were to be on a laptop, they might have more trouble than I have, but on a desktop with an actual mouse and not a trackpad, I have zero issues with these. If something could be done to keep the menus sleek and cool looking, I wouldn't mind an adaption to these.
5. Support for the Calendar. Reinstate it.
6. Posts. I love the systems of 'Fast Reply' and 'Add Reply, and how they work with '+Quote' and 'Reply.' This should not be changed at all imo.
7. There are quite a few functions on this site which I don't even use, such as the '< Next Oldest - Current Forum - Next Newest >' things which appear below the '+Quote' and 'Reply' buttons. Not sure if anyone else uses these, but I find them useless and unnecessary.
8. '5 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)'. This is what I see for this topic right now. I really like how each topic tells you who is viewing it.
9. Promotions. I feel a lot could be done to promote this site amongst the gaming community. I know this is a lot of work, and I'm unsure how to go about this without using any money. Maybe get something to sponsor us (I have no idea why someone would, but if something could be arranged for some company to get a benefit out of sponsoring tournaments on our website or something, that'd be really profitable for us).
10. This is just a question, can Google Ads read PMs on this site to know if you discuss the things you are forbidding from saying about them? Because you could generate some serious revenue if you sent out PMs telling everyone what to do in this regard...

+Quote Post
MasterGberry
post Aug 15 2011, 12:17 PM
Post #8

Colonel
Group Icon

QUOTE(redhrts @ Aug 15 2011, 10:05 AM)
1. Navigation

a. For guests and visitors, they can navigate using the menu bar, but the site won't let you navigate using the "latest" panel on the left side without logging in.  Remove "latest" clicks from login redirect?

b. I would like to be able to login on the homepage by entering my username and password without having to click "login" first each time I login (w/o saving my info on the computer).

c. The menu bar constantly changes.  I would like to click the same link on the menu bar no matter where I was originally on the forums.

d. The site will sometimes redirect me to an unrelated section of this website like AoEIII or AoM:Titans portals and the AoEO Online link will disappear.

e. Homepage menu bar sorted by game family rather than by game resource.  ex. "Age" menu bar could contain links to AoE II, AoM, AoM:T, AoE III and AoEO portals.  Individual portals would then have the "replays", "casters", "downloads", etc.  Links to general, staff, and misc. forums would remain on the homepage. Portal pages like "rts-sanctuary.com/aoeo" would be ideal.

This was just a brainstorm...I'll continue to add when I have time.

Very nice criticism. I will add the login back since people hate not having it xD Can you expand on what you mean by point D?

+Quote Post
[DoD]Quasar
post Aug 15 2011, 12:18 PM
Post #9

GOTW Reviewer
Group Icon

Member No.: 66,835

QUOTE(MasterGberry @ Aug 15 2011, 10:59 AM)

Please do, get as specific as you can :) With the new website layout I will try to implement a multi-portal system, but you will still have a "primary" portal and the rest can be secondaries.

Brilliant plan. Forgot to mention this in my post I think, but exactly what you just described here is perfect and many of us want this system to be in place I know, as this has come up in the past.

+Quote Post
MasterGberry
post Aug 15 2011, 12:22 PM
Post #10

Colonel
Group Icon

QUOTE(DoO_Quasar @ Aug 15 2011, 10:16 AM)
I love almost everything about this website. Things that I feel need to stay for me to have the same feelings about this website:

1. The skin. I absolutely love the skin this website uses. Different colours could be used or whatever, but more or less, I love how this website looks. Adding the option for other skins could be cool though, depending on how the other skins look of course. More options for skins would be implemented
2. Replays. Everything about replays is amazing. It would be hard to imagine a better system.Check out http://www.voobly.com/match/view/4874017 Would be slightly different, but it could generate more ideas
3. I guess a 'Thanks' system would be nice. The DoD forum uses these and they're kind of cool. Looking into a Like system
4. Personally, I like the banners at the top that are used as menus. I suppose if someone were to be on a laptop, they might have more trouble than I have, but on a desktop with an actual mouse and not a trackpad, I have zero issues with these. If something could be done to keep the menus sleek and cool looking, I wouldn't mind an adaption to these.
5. Support for the Calendar. Reinstate it. Why?  Was it really used?
6. Posts. I love the systems of 'Fast Reply' and 'Add Reply, and how they work with '+Quote' and 'Reply.' This should not be changed at all imo. Me too
7. There are quite a few functions on this site which I don't even use, such as the '< Next Oldest - Current Forum - Next Newest >' things which appear below the '+Quote' and 'Reply' buttons. Not sure if anyone else uses these, but I find them useless and unnecessary. Less work for me to do xD
8. '5 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)'. This is what I see for this topic right now. I really like how each topic tells you who is viewing it. Definitely a must
9. Promotions. I feel a lot could be done to promote this site amongst the gaming community. I know this is a lot of work, and I'm unsure how to go about this without using any money. Maybe get something to sponsor us (I have no idea why someone would, but if something could be arranged for some company to get a benefit out of sponsoring tournaments on our website or something, that'd be really profitable for us).
10. This is just a question, can Google Ads read PMs on this site to know if you discuss the things you are forbidding from saying about them? Because you could generate some serious revenue if you sent out PMs telling everyone what to do in this regard...

What do you mean by point #10?

+Quote Post
Mythic_Freak
post Aug 15 2011, 12:27 PM
Post #11

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 51,037

If starting from scratch, I would try to implement a frontpage similar to iGoogle. There's simply a bunch of gadgets you can select from for the front page, and you can drag them around to wherever you want. A portal would simply be a default configuration, but nothing should limit a visitor from putting (for example) both AoT and SC2 top rankings on his homepage.

+Quote Post
MasterGberry
post Aug 15 2011, 12:30 PM
Post #12

Colonel
Group Icon

QUOTE(Mythic_Freak @ Aug 15 2011, 10:27 AM)
If starting from scratch, I would try to implement a frontpage similar to iGoogle. There's simply a bunch of gadgets you can select from for the front page, and you can drag them around to wherever you want. A portal would simply be a default configuration, but nothing should limit a visitor from putting (for example) both AoT and SC2 top rankings on his homepage.

O_o Wow, that's a lot of work for 1 programmer lol. What looks nice and simple on iGoogle is 1000s of lines of code behind it, which I am not sure I could do xD Although I do like the customizing idea of the portal....Great score :) Could look into something like that, but drag and drop = no.

+Quote Post
DoD_Carly
post Aug 15 2011, 12:51 PM
Post #13

Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 56,012

a. i think a like system similar to the one on fb would be nice
b. i like how you know who is reading the same topic as you
c. i like the 'new posts' button under the forum tab because it's quicker to view things. i do not like to use forums that don't have it.

+Quote Post
redhrts
post Aug 15 2011, 12:53 PM
Post #14

Warrant Officer
Group Icon

Member No.: 107,669

QUOTE(MasterGberry @ Aug 15 2011, 01:17 PM)
Very nice criticism.  I will add the login back since people hate not having it xD Can you expand on what you mean by point D?

I believe it's just an issue with the "Home" link on the menu bar. Once I'm in, say the AoEIII portal, "Home" redirects to the AoEIII portal homepage, not the RTSS homepage or my preferred portal homepage. I would like it to redirect to my preferred homepage.

When all else fails with the menu bar, I use the navigation tree.

This post has been edited by redhrts: Aug 15 2011, 01:04 PM

+Quote Post
LoSt Cultivate B.I.G.
post Aug 15 2011, 01:18 PM
Post #15

Major

Group: Banned

Member No.: 31,815

QUOTE(MasterGberry @ Aug 16 2011, 02:59 AM)

I put my cursor over "Forums" and its this
(IMG:http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/7024/rtss.jpg)
but the instant I move my cursor down to the option, the tab autocloses again before I can highlight anything, repeat ad infinitum. To get around it I click "Forums" and sometimes after the page reloads the drop down menu stops auto closing when going to click on it. Or sometimes I can put my cursor over the drop down options, but then I take it away, try to do it again and it starts auto closing the second and following times. Chrome browser.

+Quote Post

9 Pages  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicTopic Options
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:49 AM
About Us  ·   Advertising  ·   Contact Us  ·   Terms of Use  ·   Privacy Policy