summertime_ra_enthusiast
post Dec 30 2015, 01:55 PM
Post #1

Cadet
Group Icon

Group: Members

Submissions: None

Member No.: 119,500

I am running a Dell Windows 10 Laptop, and I am having all manner of wild problems with launching AoT.

1, the game will load, but before it gets to the main menu, it just minimizes into the task bar. Every time I try to click on it, it will maximize for a second, then go right back, and it usually takes several times to get it to stay, if it does at all. This happens when launching either from Voobly or from my computer.

2, when I try to launch from Voobly, it will do that, and for some reason instead of taking me to the game room, it will take me to the AoT Campaign menu screen. The cursor will not move, and even when I try to tap out of it (touchscreen) it will snap right back to the menu.

Sometimes a brief message will come up on the side of my computer, I can't read it since it only flashes and disappears, but I was able to make out "optional background" something. Usually when it finally starts and I use Ctrl+Esc to get to my desktop, the start menu appears.

A friend of mine on Voobly says he has had the same issue.

Any ideas?

This post has been edited by summertime_ra_enthusiast: Dec 30 2015, 02:00 PM

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DoD_Fox
post Dec 30 2015, 02:18 PM
Post #2

Lieutenant-General
Group Icon

Member No.: 56,245

#2 is an issue that nearly everyone on voobly has, at least once in a while, if they are clicking around in other programs while the game tries to launch from voobly.

my advice for #1 is to first create a file called "user.cfg" using notepad in your program files/aom/startup folder (if such a file does not already exist). in that file, use these 3 lines of code:

+noIntroCinematics
xres=1920 (or whatever your monitor's x resolution is)
yres=1080 (or whatever your monitor's y resolution is)

after creating this file, attempt to toggle window mode for your game before it minimizes after launch by pressing "alt+enter" -- i would do this when launching from voobly, since it seems like you are actually able to reach the main screen when launching from voobly

if none of this works, may be a problem with your graphics card/directx versions (in which case you should post your specs)

good luck.

This post has been edited by DoD_Fox: Dec 30 2015, 02:20 PM

+Quote Post
summertime_ra_enthusiast
post Dec 30 2015, 04:56 PM
Post #3

Cadet
Group Icon

QUOTE(DoD_Fox @ Dec 30 2015, 02:18 PM)
#2 is an issue that nearly everyone on voobly has, at least once in a while, if they are clicking around in other programs while the game tries to launch from voobly.

my advice for #1 is to first create a file called "user.cfg" using notepad in your program files/aom/startup folder (if such a file does not already exist). in that file, use these 3 lines of code:

+noIntroCinematics
xres=1920 (or whatever your monitor's x resolution is)
yres=1080 (or whatever your monitor's y resolution is)

after creating this file, attempt to toggle window mode for your game before it minimizes after launch by pressing "alt+enter" -- i would do this when launching from voobly, since it seems like you are actually able to reach the main screen when launching from voobly

if none of this works, may be a problem with your graphics card/directx versions (in which case you should post your specs)

good luck.

Thanks! the fix for #1 seems to work, if I do the alt+enter thing, whether or not launching from Voobly. I won't be able to test with Voobly until tomorrow so I will get back to you then.

Thanks again

+Quote Post
DoD_Fox
post Dec 30 2015, 08:33 PM
Post #4

Lieutenant-General
Group Icon

you're welcome, let me know if you have more questions

+Quote Post
TOAO_ChronoJJ
post Dec 30 2015, 09:26 PM
Post #5

Lieutenant-General
Group Icon

Group: Staff Alumni

Member No.: 549

For #2, when inside a game lobby on Voobly, go to the top of the room to the "Game" tab and enable "Start at Single player Menu." This removes the automatic macro to launch the LAN. You can then open the LAN yourself, type your nick in, and proceed to the game.

+Quote Post
IamGoDDy
post Dec 31 2015, 01:53 AM
Post #6

Colonel
Group Icon

Group: GOTW Reviewer

Member No.: 117,313

Gamertag: [UCA]IFearGoDDy

Dude I have two laptops, One was broken 3 Days ago and the second one broke yesterfay, I am Doomed!!! :P

+Quote Post
KeeN_reGulate
post Dec 31 2015, 02:08 AM
Post #7

Warrant Officer
Group Icon

Member No.: 116,662

That's the worst luck if I have ever heard it.

+Quote Post
DoD_Fox
post Dec 31 2015, 08:55 AM
Post #8

Lieutenant-General
Group Icon

QUOTE(TOAO_ChronoJJ @ Dec 31 2015, 02:26 AM)
For #2, when inside a game lobby on Voobly, go to the top of the room to the "Game" tab and enable "Start at Single player Menu." This removes the automatic macro to launch the LAN. You can then open the LAN yourself, type your nick in, and proceed to the game.

How did I never know this

+Quote Post
summertime_ra_enthusiast
post Dec 31 2015, 11:14 PM
Post #9

Cadet
Group Icon

Fox and Chrono - I am on Voobly and both of your fixes are working

For the start in single player menu one, I tried to play a game starting on the main menu but when I got to multiplayer it couldn't find the game.

If I don't say "start in single player menu" it will 100% start at that campaign thing: not occasionally, always

This post has been edited by summertime_ra_enthusiast: Dec 31 2015, 11:15 PM

+Quote Post
7up93
post Jan 1 2016, 12:56 AM
Post #10

Major
Group Icon

Member No.: 112,937

Gamertag: 7up

QUOTE(summertime_ra_enthusiast @ Dec 31 2015, 11:14 PM)

For the start in single player menu one, I tried to play a game starting on the main menu but when I got to multiplayer it couldn't find the game.

If I don't say "start in single player menu" it will 100% start at that campaign thing: not occasionally, always

when you launch do you make sure to have the aot window selected and priortized in front ? if you don't it will go to campaign every time , but if u do it should never.

+Quote Post
summertime_ra_enthusiast
post Jan 1 2016, 11:17 AM
Post #11

Cadet
Group Icon

QUOTE(7up93 @ Jan 1 2016, 12:56 AM)

when you launch do you make sure to have the aot window selected and priortized in front ? if you don't it will go to campaign every time , but if u do it should never.

I actually found that if I close basically every other app it should work fine even without single player menu now. Not sure what "prioritized" means in this case.

One more question: my graphics are odd, the shoreline of water doesn't look right and instead of showing the rounded edges of unexplored areas on the map, I get squares for each tile of the map I suppose. I have a feeling something's wrong with my graphics.

I'd post pictures if I could figure out how to take them - will work on that.

+Quote Post
TOAO_ChronoJJ
post Jan 1 2016, 03:24 PM
Post #12

Lieutenant-General
Group Icon

Group: Staff Alumni

Member No.: 549

http://www.thegameengine.org/age-of-mythol...d-water-glitch/

Just follow the instructions in steps #1 and #2 (I've never seen anyone have to do #3).

+Quote Post
7up93
post Jan 1 2016, 05:02 PM
Post #13

Major
Group Icon

QUOTE(summertime_ra_enthusiast @ Jan 1 2016, 11:17 AM)
QUOTE(7up93 @ Jan 1 2016, 12:56 AM)

I actually found that if I close basically every other app it should work fine even without single player menu now. Not sure what "prioritized" means in this case.

One more question: my graphics are odd, the shoreline of water doesn't look right and instead of showing the rounded edges of unexplored areas on the map, I get squares for each tile of the map I suppose. I have a feeling something's wrong with my graphics.

I'd post pictures if I could figure out how to take them - will work on that.

u dont have to close anything , just make sure the aot game is in front of every other window , otherwise it will bug . Like if you launch the game and go to play a song on youtube , your browser will be infront of the game , that will cause it to bug, if you play the song then click on the aot game so it is in front of everything else before it launches , then it will launch with no problems, that is what I mean when I say prioritize

+Quote Post
summertime_ra_enthusiast
post Jan 2 2016, 11:29 AM
Post #14

Cadet
Group Icon

at this point the game is bugging pretty much no matter what, even if I the only other app running is voobly itself. If I try the single player menu fix, I will either be unable to find the game or I will receive a message that says simply "fatal error reported by game." This happened in several different games.

If I start a game with just myself, it's fine.

+Quote Post
7up93
post Jan 2 2016, 07:29 PM
Post #15

Major
Group Icon

ok man fatal error is above my paygrade, gl tho

+Quote Post

2 Pages  1 2 >
Reply to this topicTopic Options
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:48 AM
About Us  ·   Advertising  ·   Contact Us  ·   Terms of Use  ·   Privacy Policy