Korbah
post Feb 12 2006, 05:21 AM
Post #16

General
Group Icon

Group: Members

Submissions: 1

Member No.: 3,014

Best advice is to play lots and lots of games. Forget training specific strats - just auto over and over again. As you get better you'll get better micro, get better timing and become more intimate with your race.

Once you get good THEN it's time to look into the numbers - get good first then look for an edge. Don't aim for an edge while you're not good enough to use it.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
pet
post Feb 12 2006, 05:48 AM
Post #17

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

Submissions: None

Member No.: 27,074

Im somewhere beteween good& expert dunno.

+Quote Post
SHINOGI-JI
post Feb 12 2006, 07:49 AM
Post #18

2nd Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,503

that was an awsome article. looking forward to ur sm stratergy guide!

maybe u could post in the expert tactics sections then it won't be empty any more! yey :p

GP <--- (great post)

+Quote Post
[TLSC]Phate
post Feb 12 2006, 08:24 AM
Post #19

2nd Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,597

So how do you obtain GOD status?

By being on the balance team.

that better be a joke :p

+Quote Post
iggy
post Feb 12 2006, 11:00 AM
Post #20

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 29,475

Think I'd place myself at good level with fits of expert-ness every now and then. I don't make BOs, just wing it most of the time, but I've played so long that I'm doing BOs and don't even really realize it, and usually try to do different things in almost every game. My micro's good enough for DOW I think, and I do decently in WC3, etc.... I pretty much sucked ass before at RTS games compared to how good I am now, and I think it's all because I loved DOW so much and played the hell out of it ever since beta; it's like reaching a new level of "existence" when you get better to a certain point and think about things differently than you used to (best game example of this I've ever seen is Total Annihilation: suddenly you realize you can build more than just that 1 kbot factory, and spam dozens of missile turrets to make walls and so on). I find myself being better at other games even. Point of all my blabbing: play play play play play... and when you think you're done playing, play more.

What's going on in your head helps too, I think. I used to only play games on easy difficulty and just fumble my way through, lately I've taken to first playing on hardest difficulty and saying "I'm gonna blow this sucker away even on this mode" and usually do.

This post has been edited by iggy: Feb 12 2006, 11:03 AM

+Quote Post
[eX]Xerxes
post Feb 12 2006, 11:46 AM
Post #21

General
Group Icon

Group: DOW I Gosu

Member No.: 6,163

I think most people overestimate their own skill level that.... or I have really high standards.

+Quote Post
Santiago4ever
post Feb 12 2006, 12:39 PM
Post #22

¯\(o_O)/¯
Group Icon

Group: DOW I Expert

Member No.: 4,708

I'm bordering on expert I think... need to learn to control the pace of the game better >.<

+Quote Post
StefanHaines
post Feb 12 2006, 02:08 PM
Post #23

Major
Group Icon

Member No.: 83,697

im clearly pro with my super UP ig forces.

+Quote Post
DaNfz
post Feb 12 2006, 02:33 PM
Post #24

Major
Group Icon

Group: DOW I Expert

Member No.: 86,767

im basicaly a complete noob with pro micro :D

i dont fit into that at all :(

+Quote Post
1Kn0wFear
post Feb 12 2006, 04:26 PM
Post #25

2nd Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 22,567

@ Iggy
BO's are jsut your opening build that launchs you into whatever strategy your doing. Even just winging it can have a BO. I havea build order that i use when i dont ahve any particular startegy in mind im going to play, its designed to let me react to ym opponets moves. But having one build order for every stratgegy you use is best so you can practice it and perfect it over time. Using many differant builds for the same thign is waste pretty much unless your playing vs the same opponet everytime and hes starting to take advantage of your routine.

@ Santi

Controling the pace of the game is the ahrdest thing to master in my opinion is takes great overall macro and knowledge of hwowpeople react to be able to make your oppnet make the moves you want him to.

I dont think anyone judges theyre skill eprfectly cause of cours ei think im a God, well maybe not at WA, but i couldnt beat Select :(

+Quote Post
Blood_Ravens
post Feb 12 2006, 05:50 PM
Post #26

Brigadier
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,924

ye wuz a good post but too much theory too little practice...

"controlling the pace of the game" wth? no u cant, ill do something else and he will do something else, get it? and it doesnt have to be logic at all, i mean i can enter an auto and say bah im tired so ill play this one for fastwin or fastlose, i go 2 scout rass into mass and theres nothing u can do about it, u cant make me tech. So to conclude u cant control the pace of the game.

+Quote Post
SalamanderDan
post Feb 12 2006, 07:00 PM
Post #27

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,218

I'm pretty good. I'm still working on a way to kill people that play eldar or guard rush with my thoughts... then I'll be unstoppable.

+Quote Post
The_Fell-Hand
post Feb 12 2006, 07:54 PM
Post #28

Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 83,241

Well, I think personally my main struggles are consistency. For sure I don't practise enough ( so many other things to do) to be pro, but I probably hover over a wide range of inter to expert I think. I'm like this in sports, on stage, and overall irl. Some days I will fall prey to either being tired, just killing time, or just not thinking properly, whereas other days I can toy with good players and pull off wins with experts/pros.

I can't think of much other that I'd have to do other than get really involved, which can be tough because i really don't enjoy how the game is balanced atm. Live and die by skill baby, it's just no fun any other way. I agree with the points on innovation/practice, and it's clear Fear has been through this all before because it's like he's writing out my dow history. I was a the biggest 1300 scout rushin noob in 1.2 because i didn't know any other way to win. Then I watched 10 replays and went up about 400 pts in a few days. Then I practised, watched for the main trends in builds, and simply devised counters that not only reversed their builds against them but pinpointed key timings and areas where they could be caught unprepared, or would likely fold in favour of clinging to their original plan (i.e. killing routine players).

So...i'm somewhere in there. I'm a big ? mark probably, I can be great I can be poopie. just ask anyone :p

@ blood A player who's good enough to control the pace of a game will almost always win. Back in 1.2 I'd only lost to charlie's ork because I couldn't seem to control the pace in the couple games we played, but every single other game I would set a strong pace with scouts/fc, then get the ork running on a treadmill so that when he'd build up to leap at me I was more than ready. Controlling the pace is SO hard, especially when you're playing good players it seems impossible at times. But try it on noobs, people whom you can feel out to be playing like you once did when u weren't as good. Manipulate them and make them run in circles. It's easy to control players a good step or two below you.

Mark my words, my micro really isn't that practised, and I don't do any real special bo's or anything, but yet I compete rather well most of the time (well, not in wa so much really the pace isn't something i've caught onto)...anyways, where was I. Yeah, I beat tons of people that can click faster than me, macro faster than me and even build harder counters than me, simply because I can dictate what they will do, when they will do it, and with certain races if you can choose when to fight u'll almost always win.

This post has been edited by The_Fell-Hand: Feb 12 2006, 07:58 PM

+Quote Post
laserflip-dows
post Feb 12 2006, 09:46 PM
Post #29

Lieutenant-General

Group: Banned

Member No.: 3,930

I'm a noob, but I cover it up by winning games.

+Quote Post
1Kn0wFear
post Feb 12 2006, 10:13 PM
Post #30

2nd Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 22,567

@Ravens
Thats y ur no expert... I dont think you understand at all. Controling the pace is making him move his troops where you want him to and putting him on the defensive reacting to your moves, forcing him to counter your units not vice a versa, delaying his tech until your prepared etc
Theres many variables to it and it takes the most time n practice to achieve. In DoW ive never lost a game because someone got one defielr or falcon spam off and i wasnt ready for it cause i set the pace. If you notice i split my forces into smaller groups and play ping pong with my opponet almost every game But if you dont even understand what im talking about no way you can even learn it.. These threads arnt for noobs or ignorant people in this forum, tho noobs can learn something but some things are probably too in depth for them to comprehend and ignorant people jsut better not even read what i post in here. Waste of der time.

+Quote Post

6 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Closed TopicTopic Options
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:15 PM
About Us  ·   Advertising  ·   Contact Us  ·   Terms of Use  ·   Privacy Policy