post Jul 19 2011, 10:45 PM
Post #1

GOTW Reviewer
Group Icon

Group: Members
DOW Replays: 0
Submissions: None

Member No.: 66,835

So as to not clutter the Pictures topic, I quoted all the major posts from our discussion and reproduced them below:

QUOTE(DoO_Quasar @ Jul 19 2011, 01:24 PM)
There's no denying our education system is amongst the worst of developed countries with our level of potential. Nationalism and blind patriotism are the left and right blinders on the American quarter-horse being blindsided by failure :(

QUOTE(DoO_Quasar @ Jul 19 2011, 03:26 PM)
I hate CNN, and most major news networks for that matter. Saying America needs to improve on something does not make you anti-American. And of course our Ivy League schools are among the best in the world, but the largest problem with this is that we educate the brightest students from around the world at them and then send them right back home. We are not investing in ourselves at all :(

Here's the point I'm making about our education system lagging behind in globalization, as illustrated by this article I read earlier today:

QUOTE(Newsweek)
Happy Rogers, age 8, stands among her classmates in the schoolyard at dismissal time, immune, it seems, to the cacophonous din. Her parents and baby sister are waiting outside, but still she lingers, engrossed in conversation. A poised and precocious blonde, Hilton Augusta Parker Rogers, nicknamed Happy, would be at home in the schoolyard of any affluent American suburb or big-city private school. But here, at the elite, bilingual Nanyang Primary School in Singapore, Happy is in the minority, her Dakota Fanning hair shimmering in a sea of darker heads. This is what her parents have traveled halfway around the world for. While her American peers are feasting on the idiocies fed to them by junk TV and summer movies, Happy is navigating her friendships and doing her homework entirely in Mandarin.

Fluency in Chinese, she says—in English—through mouthfuls of spaghetti bolognese at a Singapore restaurant, “is going to make me better and smarter.”

American parents have barely recovered from the anxiety attacks they suffered at the hands of the Tiger Mom—oh, no, my child is already 7 and she can’t play a note of Chopin—and now here comes Happy’s father, the multimillionaire American investor and author Jim Rogers, to give them something new to fret about. It is no longer enough to raise children who are brave, curious, hardworking, and compassionate. Nor is it sufficient to steer them toward the right sports, the right tutors, the right internships, and thus engineer their admittance to the right (or at least a good enough) college. According to Rogers, who in 2007 left New York’s Upper West Side to settle in Singapore with his wife, Paige Parker, and Happy (Beeland Anderson Parker Rogers, called Baby Bee, was born the next year), parents who really care about their children must also ponder this: are we doing enough to raise “global” kids?

“I’m doing what parents have done for many years,” Jim Rogers says. “I’m trying to prepare my children for the future, for the 21st century. I’m trying to prepare them as best I can for the world as I see it.” Rogers believes the future is Asia—he was recently on cable television flogging Chinese commodities. “The money is in the East, and the debtors are in the West. I’d rather be with the creditors than the debtors,” he adds.

It has become a convention of public discourse to regard rapid globalization—of economies and business; of politics and conflict; of fashion, technology, and music—as the great future threat to American prosperity. The burden of meeting that challenge rests explicitly on our kids. If they don’t learn—now—to achieve a comfort level with foreign people, foreign languages, and foreign lands, this argument goes, America’s competitive position in the world will continue to erode, and their future livelihood and that of subsequent generations will be in jeopardy. Rogers is hardly the only person who sees things this way. “In this global economy, the line between domestic and international issues is increasingly blurred, with the world’s economies, societies, and people interconnected as never before,” said U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan in remarks in the spring of 2010 at the Asia Society in New York. “I am worried that in this interconnected world, our country risks being disconnected from the contributions of other countries and cultures.”

Despite Duncan’s articulate urgency (and the public example of Rogers and a few others like him), America is so far utterly failing to produce a generation of global citizens. Only 37 percent of Americans hold a passport. Fewer than 2 percent of America’s 18 million college students go abroad during their undergraduate years—and when they do go, it’s mostly for short stints in England, Spain, or Italy that are more like vacations. Only a quarter of public primary schools offer any language instruction at all, and fewer high schools offer French, German, Latin, Japanese, or Russian than they did in 1997. The number of schools teaching Chinese and Arabic is so tiny as to be nearly invisible.

Meanwhile, 200 million Chinese schoolchildren are studying English. South Korean parents recently threw a collective hissy fit, demanding that their children begin English instruction in first grade, rather than in second. Nearly 700,000 students from all over the world attended U.S. universities during the 2009–10 school year, with the greatest increases in kids from China and Saudi Arabia. “Not training our kids to be able to work and live in an international environment is like leaving them illiterate,” says David Boren, the former U.S. senator and current president of the University of Oklahoma. The gap between our ambition and reality yawns wide.

There is no consensus on remedies. According to a white paper issued in 2009 by the Institute on International Education, most colleges and universities say they want to increase participation in study-abroad programs, but only 40 percent are actually making concerted efforts to do so. Long immersion programs are expensive, and in an environment of tough statewide budget cuts, students and professors are too crunched for time to make international experience a priority. Educators disagree on which kinds of experiences are most advantageous for kids—or even what advantageous means. Is it enough for a teenager who has never traveled farther than her grandma’s house to get a passport and order a pint in a London pub? Or does she have to spend a year in Beijing, immersed in Mandarin and economic policy? Is the goal of foreign experience to learn a language or gain some special expertise—in auto engineering or peace mediation? Or is it to be of service to others by giving mosquito nets to poor children in an African village?

Jim Rogers sees an America in decline, and his solution has been to immerse himself in the countries and cultures that are ascendant. “We think we’re the world leader, but we’re not,” he says. “I don’t like saying that. I’m an American. I vote. I pay taxes. But the level of knowledge is not very high, and that’s going to hurt us, I’m afraid.” In the Rogers family’s five-bedroom bungalow, there is no TV. Instead, there are more than a dozen globes to look at and maps to ponder, a nanny and a maid who speak only Mandarin to the kids, bicycles to ride, and a new karaoke machine so the girls can learn Chinese songs.

A generation ago and as far back as Thomas Jefferson, a certain kind of child from a certain kind of family went abroad because it was done; a sojourn in Europe was as crucial to becoming a cultivated person as knowing the works of Mozart or Rembrandt. The point was to see the Great Museums, of course, but also to breathe the air—to learn to converse in another tongue, to adapt to the rhythms of another place. Hemingway did this, of course, but so did Benjamin Franklin and Johnny Depp. This is what Pamela Wolf, who just returned to New York City with her husband and children from a year in Barcelona, did. She enrolled her teenagers in an international school, where they made friends with kids from around the world and learned to speak fluent Spanish. Her children have a global perspective not only because of their language skills but also because arriving in a new place, knowing no one, forced them to be resilient. “It’s pushing yourself out of your comfort zone,” Wolf says. “It builds a very compassionate child. While, yes, grades and academics are as important to me as anyone, you need resilience to understand and have sympathy for other people.”

Such lengthy sojourns, though, are available to only a few: the very adventurous or the very rich. Wolf and her husband are both self-employed. “Financially,” she says, “we have the great privilege of earning money while we’re away.”

Without resources and connections, a foreign experience can be a misery. Two years ago, Maribeth Henderson moved from San Antonio with her husband, her college-age son, and her adopted 5-year-old daughter, Wei Wei, to a remote part of China, in Guangdong province. Wei Wei didn’t learn much Mandarin—her school taught mainly Cantonese—and Henderson felt lonely and alienated. “It was so Chinese that I couldn’t assimilate and feel comfortable,” she says. “I couldn’t speak the language; it was hard for us to even order food in a restaurant. If you ordered a chicken, they would literally hand you a chicken. You were lucky if it wasn’t alive.” Henderson abandoned ship, returning to Texas with Wei Wei ahead of schedule and leaving her husband and son in Guangzhou. Now, though, she’s planning to try again. This summer she and Wei Wei will move to Beijing, and Henderson hopes the big city will ameliorate her former isolation. About her goal—helping Wei Wei learn Chinese—Henderson has no doubts. “For children to be competitive and successful in a global economy,” she says, “it’s important for them to be bilingual.”

For parents who want to give their children global experience while keeping them safely on the straight and narrow American path of PSATs, SATs, and stellar extracurriculars, there’s an ever-growing field of options. Immersion schools have exploded over the past 40 years, growing from none in 1970 to 440 today, according to the Center for Applied Linguistics, and Mandarin, especially, is seen among type-A parents as a twofer: a child who learns Mandarin starting at 5 increases her brain capacity and is exposed to the culture of the future through language. (One mom in San Francisco laughs when she recalls that her daughter learned about Rosa Parks and the Montgomery bus boycott in Chinese.) The education entrepreneur Chris Whittle and colleagues recently announced plans for the new Avenues school, to open in New York City in September 2012 and designed to compete with the city’s most exclusive (and expensive) private schools. Its curriculum will be fully bilingual—parents choose a Mandarin or Spanish track when their kids are 3—providing the Happy Rogers experience but with all the conveniences of home. “We think that any child that graduates from high school a monoglot is automatically behind,” Whittle says. Fourteen months before the school’s doors open, Avenues has already received 1,200 applications.

Study abroad is now a prerequisite on some college campuses, and a few professional schools, especially in business and engineering, have begun to require international study as part of their curricula. Nursing students at a community college in Utah must all spend a month at a hospital in Vietnam as part of their training. But Margaret Heisel, director of the Center for Capacity Building in Study Abroad, believes that a real global education comes from a long stay in a strange place; it gives kids skills that no amount of study can teach.

My own experience proves this point. During my sophomore year in high school, my father, a university professor, moved our entire family to Amsterdam for his sabbatical year and enrolled my brothers and me in local public schools. During that glorious year, I rode my bike through city streets, learned to roll a cigarette one-handed, and eventually spoke Dutch like a 15-year-old native. (I can still say “That’s so stupid” and “This is so boring.”) We saw Stonehenge and the Rijksmuseum and drove to Burgundy for the grape harvest, but the real impact of that adventure was that I learned a degree of self-reliance—a 15-year-old girl needs to make friends and will cross any cultural boundary to do so—that I didn’t know I had.

“I think it’s liberating to some extent,” Heisel says. “It touches people in places that being in a familiar place doesn’t. It requires versatility, flexibility. It’s a different culture and it’s pressing on kids in different ways.” Baby Bee is equally at home on visits to the U.S. and in Singapore, where her father rides her to school each day on his personal pedicab. There she sings the Singapore national anthem and pledges the Singapore flag. “She’s no different from the Chinese kids,” says her teacher, Fu Su Qin. “And her Chinese is just as good.”

Now, I couldn't care less about any of that 'don't watch TV' crap or anything else in that article besides the remarks about globalization education and where the money in the world is right now. I also don't care about that specific anecdote of that girl as obviously one would need to be extremely rich to live that sort of lifestyle. As you may notice, the article ends on an up-note, saying how things are getting better, but the rate at which this is happening is so ungodly slow that it's a miserable failure. Where we are now, is where we should have been 30 years ago.

QUOTE(Chrysalis @ Jul 19 2011, 07:06 PM)
QUOTE(DoO_Quasar @ Jul 19 2011, 06:27 PM)
You have way more science/maths at your school than me, and mine is one of the better public schools in Minnesota, a state that is in the top 5 for education...I think you're downplaying your school :P

not thanks to IB though

Well I'd switched places in an instant to go to your school and have your IB opportunities as well as your hard sciences programs.

QUOTE(W0WzA_ @ Jul 19 2011, 09:22 PM)
QUOTE(DoO_Quasar @ Jul 19 2011, 07:49 PM)
Education should be free for all (either gift economy or paid for by taxes). Of course, the level of education one would be granted would have to be determined by merit.

All media should also be free. As should all health care and food.

please tell me you're joking

No, I am not. The entirety of the way things are done currently is all wrong. Education is what progresses society. The single largest investment in a society's future is the education of its citizenry.

QUOTE(XpT_Tyler @ Jul 19 2011, 01:42 PM)
QUOTE(DoO_Quasar @ Jul 19 2011, 11:45 AM)
The problem is that the level of dumb is just so highly concentrated in America...of course not everyone is like that. I just got done reading an article in Newsweek about our lack of globalization education and I am just downright disgusted at the moment :(

how are you so naive 111

No, I did not mean just intelligence in general lacking in America, I meant what Crocin pointed out that it is this certain type of intelligence that is blinded by jingoism:

QUOTE(crosin @ Jul 19 2011, 01:29 PM)
What I am implying is that, every place is going to have stupid people. But that stupidity is due to a lack of cerebrum. The stupidity displayed above seems to be engineered and encouraged under the guise of patriotism. Exactly what Quasar is saying. :thumbsup:

That^

This post has been edited by DoO_Quasar: Jul 19 2011, 10:59 PM

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
XpT_Velite
post Jul 19 2011, 10:47 PM
Post #2

General
Group Icon

Member No.: 59,915

tl;dr doesnt even begin to describe the amount of not-read that i'm doing11

+Quote Post
[DoD]Quasar
post Jul 19 2011, 10:48 PM
Post #3

GOTW Reviewer
Group Icon

one sec...gotta fix the quoting

Edit: Had to remove the quote tags on something I wrote previously as you can only have so many quote tags. It should still be taken as my wording from before.

This post has been edited by DoO_Quasar: Jul 19 2011, 10:58 PM

+Quote Post
dPb_LoVe_Tyler
post Jul 19 2011, 11:20 PM
Post #4

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

Member No.: 17,461

you can't really think food/education should be free 111

+Quote Post
dPb_PapaHaefMasterMC
post Jul 19 2011, 11:26 PM
Post #5

Major-General
Group Icon

Member No.: 61,018

Education certainly could be alleviated in price. Generally speaking the level of education affects almost every social advancement you could think of. Free is sort of absurd because in capitalist economy "free" doesn't exist, there is commodity pricing, labor theory of value, and scarcity. Also, free food does exist-- you just have to sustain your own garden or something! :D

+Quote Post
LoSt Cultivate B.I.G.
post Jul 20 2011, 12:15 AM
Post #6

Major

Group: Banned

Member No.: 31,815

Australian universities use to not have fees, it should go back to that.

Forget USAs education system first thing America needs to address is its privately owned centralised bank... get rid of that and the rest can fall into place (with citizen assistance). Nothing else to add, don't want to start political discussion (although I don't see how education is not related to it).

This post has been edited by ChiLLz: Jul 20 2011, 12:17 AM

+Quote Post
DoD_J4Jc3
post Jul 20 2011, 07:51 AM
Post #7

The Rag Master
Group Icon

Member No.: 37,529

Gamertag: [DoD]J4Jc3

Government should pay for the largest part of the education, like in Belgium for example. Maximum 1k euro a year should be payed, above that is just outrageous.

+Quote Post
4servant
post Jul 20 2011, 08:08 AM
Post #8

Lieutenant-General
Group Icon

Group: DOW I Expert
DOW Replays: 27

Member No.: 89,239

gota pay 1710 eurotjes = +/- 2500 dollar this year :S

+Quote Post
Chrysalis
post Jul 20 2011, 08:18 AM
Post #9

General
Group Icon

Member No.: 80,694

And what makes you think free university would improve the overall quality of education? As it is, anyone can go to university regardless of wealth anyway, it's called a student loan.

+Quote Post
DoD_J4Jc3
post Jul 20 2011, 09:37 AM
Post #10

The Rag Master
Group Icon

Member No.: 37,529

Gamertag: [DoD]J4Jc3

QUOTE(Chrysalis @ Jul 20 2011, 02:18 PM)
And what makes you think free university would improve the overall quality of education? As it is, anyone can go to university regardless of wealth anyway, it's called a student loan.

+Quote Post
LoSt Cultivate B.I.G.
post Jul 20 2011, 09:41 AM
Post #11

Major

Group: Banned

Member No.: 31,815

QUOTE(Chrysalis @ Jul 20 2011, 11:18 PM)

Maybe the 10s (if not 100s) of thousands of dollars of debt that you have to pay off for the rest of your life. Yeah thats a really good incentive over working and making money (unless you are in USA, such a thing is not possible).

This post has been edited by ChiLLz: Jul 20 2011, 09:43 AM

+Quote Post
Chrysalis
post Jul 20 2011, 10:07 AM
Post #12

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(ChiLLz @ Jul 20 2011, 09:41 AM)
QUOTE(Chrysalis @ Jul 20 2011, 11:18 PM)

Maybe the 10s (if not 100s) of thousands of dollars of debt that you have to pay off for the rest of your life. Yeah thats a really good incentive over working and making money (unless you are in USA, such a thing is not possible).

I am talking about USA, as I assume major is as well. The truth is that blue-collar work has no need for a secondary degree, if you don't think a student loan is worth it then you have no need for college anyway.

+Quote Post
[DoD]Quasar
post Jul 20 2011, 10:12 AM
Post #13

GOTW Reviewer
Group Icon

QUOTE(XpT_Tyler @ Jul 19 2011, 10:20 PM)
you can't really think food/education should be free 111

Under an ideal society of perfect economy, yes. However, under capitalism, it really isn't feasible. But as you an see, I said should.

+Quote Post
Chrysalis
post Jul 20 2011, 10:16 AM
Post #14

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(DoD_J4Jc3 @ Jul 20 2011, 09:37 AM)
QUOTE(Chrysalis @ Jul 20 2011, 02:18 PM)

not sure what you find so funny, pretty much all my friends are taking out massive student loans to pay for college (except the rich ones). i was lucky enough to get a scholarship but if i hadn't it'd be half out of my parents' pockets and half from a student loan. i'm aware it's different in europe but europe also has insane tax rates compared to US.

This post has been edited by Chrysalis: Jul 20 2011, 10:19 AM

+Quote Post
Norse_Attack4
post Jul 20 2011, 10:30 AM
Post #15

2nd Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 79,523

Not that hard to get scholarships anyway, if you got above a 30 on the ACT at my school tuition was free...

+Quote Post

2 Pages  1 2 >
Reply to this topicTopic Options
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:33 AM
About Us  ·   Advertising  ·   Contact Us  ·   Terms of Use  ·   Privacy Policy